Dry brisket slices

S

Smitty

I cooked at Platte City this weekend. Did not fair too well, middle of the pack. Let me set up my cooking.

6.5 lbs brisket flat from costco. thick middle.
4pm - trimmed, rubbed, and wrapped brisket to marinate in cooler. I left the costco trimmed point on but trimmed around it. but I trimmed the edge of the flat for a more uniform slice.
1:30 am - put brisket on fat side down. internal was about 45. WSM at 240.
5:30 am - mopped. internal at about 145. WSM at 225.
9:00 am - mopped. internal at about 165. WSM 225.
10:45 am - internal temp was only about 172. So I pulled the brisket and split it from the point wrapped in plastic and aluminum and back into the WSM. Let the WSM come up in temp to about 240.
11:30 - internal 190. Pulled the brisket and put it in a cooler still wrapped.
12:30 - internal 177. pulled the brisket out of the cooler.
1:15 - I sliced the brisket. The slices would be nice and juicy while I pull tested the slice. cut a couple more slice for the team to try for opinions and by that time the first slice from the middle had dried out. I had to keep the slices together in the box to try and slow down the drying.

This is not my first brisket but it seems that no matter what temp or time or method I use within 3 to 5 minutes of slicing the briskets the slices Dry out. Am I missing something or should I just start selling shoes.

Attachments

• 4659510954_ORIG.jpg
    4659510954_ORIG.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 199
As YankeeBBQ says. Fab, it makes everything good!!! :cool:

Did you do anything with sauce, or the natural juices that collected in the foil?

There was not much juice from the wrapping. I did brush some on the top of the slices after they were in the box.

Did you do anything with sauce, or the natural juices that collected in the foil?

It might not have sat long enough either... I've4 found that they dry out real quick if they don't sit for a long period. I would also try and get some moisture, whether it be beef broth or something when you wrap them. Give the brisket a nice wet environment...

How long would you consider a long time?

It might not have sat long enough either... I've4 found that they dry out real quick if they don't sit for a long period. I would also try and get some moisture, whether it be beef broth or something when you wrap them. Give the brisket a nice wet environment...

I like at least 2 hours... the longer the better... Most of my big meats are off by 10:00 am... I would prefer them to be off by 9:00....

Scottie

Fat side UP. I know, I know....but, seriously, it makes sense.

I normally cook mine starting at room temp and fat side up in a pan.

Wrong ! Actually I don't cook flats so maybe your right. Pulling the brisket at 190 seems low to me. I'm not into the whole mopping thing I just think it prolongs the cooking time. And Yes Fab does make everything better.

As YankeeBBQ says. Fab, it makes everything good!!! :cool:
Smart man:wink:

I agree with Steph. I have always dont it that way and has worked well for me, but all in all it a fatty peice of meat, so it should be OK either way.

Plus I personaly like to cook in the 275's.

At the last comp we put ours on at around 11pm and pulled around 8:30-9:00AM at internal temp of 190. wrapped in foil and put in the warmer on the trailer(130temp) took out of warmer at 1pm. So juicy you couldn't believe. The fat has little to do with juicy in my opinion, I usually trim my brisket of most of the fat and it's always juicy. It has to have time to rest for it to suck that juice back in. I would let it rest at least 3hrs if not 4.

fab gives everything a chit taist i wont use it you can put an augzu and paint and you will do fine. try speed cooking in a apple juice bath in foil. sorry for rainting we have had a 5th 3rd an 2nd and i did it with out fab or any other chit like that

I learned very quickly a long time ago that fat side up has nothing to do with moist meat. The fat simply drips off the brisket.

fab gives everything a chit taist i wont use it you can put an augzu and paint and you will do fine. try speed cooking in a apple juice bath in foil. sorry for rainting we have had a 5th 3rd an 2nd and i did it with out fab or any other chit like that

A lot of teams have won using FAB B also.

Well the judges must like the taste of Chit then cuz they sure do give us a lot of nines.:mrgreen:

Back