MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
ihbobry
On the road to being a farker

Default What is average?

Simply put what is average when scoring? Is it average competition bbq or just average bbq? This really was not covered in the CBJ class I took. And frankly I didn't think to ask at that time.

I wonder because I was thinking while looking at some turn in photos, that almost everyone here was giving 8-9's I thought they looked great but I would expect them to if they where turn ins. If I saw them in person I expect I would say to myself they look way above average for bbq from the back yard but they look average for a turn in.

I think the same would translate to the taste and texture.

So what is average?
ihbobry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbobry View Post
Simply put what is average when scoring? Is it average competition bbq or just average bbq? This really was not covered in the CBJ class I took. And frankly I didn't think to ask at that time.

I wonder because I was thinking while looking at some turn in photos, that almost everyone here was giving 8-9's I thought they looked great but I would expect them to if they where turn ins. If I saw them in person I expect I would say to myself they look way above average for bbq from the back yard but they look average for a turn in.

So what is average?
Not exactley sure I understand the question, but if your judging a KCBS event, you are not judging "back yard BBQ" So according to the new scoring an average would be a 6.

New Judging Procedures and Score Sheet for 2008

December 23, 2007

The Board of Directors have approved changes in the judging procedures for 2008. After, a year of testing and development, a new judging slip will be used beginning March 1st, 2008. Each number on the judging slip will have a definition associated with it. The starting point of six has been abolished. There will be no starting point. The definitions are as follows.

9 – Excellent
8 – Very Good
7 – Above Average
6 – Average
5 – Below Average
4 – Poor
3 – Bad
2 – Inedible
1 – Disqualified

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

So what is average?
Personally I believe the word Average has no place in KCBS judging since the judging is supposed to be non-comparative. You have to compare the entry to something else in order to say it's average right ?

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
STX Cue
Full Fledged Farker

Not a certified judge, but have judged a couple of local events and I agree YankeeBBQ on the use of "average". In order for me to know what was average, wouldn't I have to look at all of the entries at the same time, then rate them accordingly? That is the only way that you could do it objectively.
STX Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Personally I believe the word Average has no place in KCBS judging since the judging is supposed to be non-comparative. You have to compare the entry to something else in order to say it's average right ?
Excellent point! I have often wondered how many times judges have tasted the entry..marked down a score...ect...ect..Only to think he/she wished they could go back and change a score because "compared to" enty #(x) they would mark it up or down.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Old 04-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
ihbobry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto1117 View Post
Not exactley sure I understand the question, but if your judging a KCBS event, you are not judging "back yard BBQ" So according to the new scoring an average would be a 6.
You understand perfectly. I know it's not backyard bbq, that's why I would expect eyepopping turn ins. Hence the 'average" moves upward with that expectation. Look @ the recent thread on someones chicken box, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40223
so many people chimed in with 7's, 8'sand even 9's for appearance, to me it was what I would expect for a turn in; it's a 6. It looks like an "average" comp turn in to me. So in this case I ask what is average?

Another part of this is are others afraid to score it average on a forum like this because 1. they know how hard the guy worked for it and want to make him feel good/not pick on him, or 2. don't want to say hey, no that's not a 9 or 8 because other people said it was a 9 or an 8?

I don't mean any harm to the cook of the referenced turnin, it seems to me the same thing happens with every "rate my turn in" thread, hios was just the latest.

I agree that the word average is nebulous at best, and misleading in practice.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
If the turn in looks like an 8 or 9, score it as an 8 or 9. One can only put so much make-up on a pig (literally ) to make it look good. Keep in mind, some pictures don't represent the turn ins as good as seeing them in person. Pictures can show the meat as a different color then the actual turn in based on the camera settings and lighting.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
TexEx

Quote:
That doesn't answer the question "What Deserves To Be Called Average".
BackYard or Comp can be judged using the same criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
You are correct. But you don't compare to the other entries. You compare to your own personal expectations built on past experience. If you think the entry is ordinary in quality then that sould be what you call average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX Cue View Post
Not a certified judge, but have judged a couple of local events and I agree YankeeBBQ on the use of "average". In order for me to know what was average, wouldn't I have to look at all of the entries at the same time, then rate them accordingly? That is the only way that you could do it objectively.
See previous reply...

Quote:
Excellent point! I have often wondered how many times judges have tasted the entry..marked down a score...ect...ect..Only to think he/she wished they could go back and change a score because "compared to" enty #(x) they would mark it up or down.
See previous reply.
Although average can be a mathematical term which requires multiple numbers, average (and in our case) can also mean "usual or ordinary in kind and/or quality". This is all subjective. When you judge you are the authority, right or wrong. It is your opinion.

Suppose you only have one entry to judge. Does that stop you from judging as you should? Of course not, you judge it as you feel it deserves compared to your personal expectations. So judge each entry that way, not against each other.

Ray

TexEx Hook'em Horns!
FBA Member. FBA MCBJ.
KCBS 62294
Char-Griller Super Pro. Char-Broil Gasser.
[LEFT][FONT=Arial][I]Orange[/I][/FONT] Thermapen.[/LEFT]
TexEx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
ihbobry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEx View Post
you judge it as you feel it deserves compared to your personal expectations. So judge each entry that way, not against each other.

Ray
And that is why I asked because I was begining to think perhaps my personal expectations are off when I go and look @ one of those rate my box threads. I also don't think the word average has a place in subjective evaluation of an entry. So far that's being confirmed.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEx
That doesn't answer the question "What Deserves To Be Called Average".
BackYard or Comp can be judged using the same criteria.
When I said "you are not judging "back yard BBQ" it is in reference to an appearence stanpoint....poeple do not go to the time and trouble to "present" thier BBQ as they would do in a comp....I sure don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEx
Although average can be a mathematical term which requires multiple numbers, average (and in our case) can also mean "usual or ordinary in kind and/or quality". This is all subjective. When you judge you are the authority, right or wrong. It is your opinion.

Suppose you only have one entry to judge. Does that stop you from judging as you should? Of course not, you judge it as you feel it deserves compared to your personal expectations. So judge each entry that way, not against each other.
I agree. KCBS judging should not be comparitive. Decide what your standard for "average" is and all samples should be based on that criteria and reference standards.With that being said, I still wonder how many judges do what I mentioned about comparing.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with a lot of what has been said before me the word average is subjective but honestly I can't think of a better word.

When I look at a turn in box I have an idea in my head of what I want it to look like if it just meets those expectations it is average if it excedes them it scores better if it does not meet them it is scored accordingly. The same goes for taste and tenderness.

To say you aren't supposed to compare is a stretch at the best to accurately judge something you have to have a base line to judge from. If a person who had never in their life tasted BBQ before were to judge one entry they could score it 999 because it is the best bbq they have ever had. But once they get that first taste everything they judge from then on is based on past experience.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

According to Roget's Definition: Of moderately good quality but less than excellent.Synonyms: adequate, all right, common, decent, fair, fairish, goodish, moderate, passable, respectable, satisfactory, sufficient, tolerable, average
Definition: Commonly encountered.Synonyms: commonplace, general, normal, ordinary, typical, usual, average
Definition: Being of no special quality or type.Synonyms: common, commonplace, cut-and-dried, formulaic, garden, garden-variety, indifferent, mediocre, plain, routine, run-of-the-mill, standard, stock, undistinguished, unexceptional, unremarkable, average
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Based on scores I've received and given, I'd say getting a 6 for appearance is basically below average for a KCBS standard of turn in - a presentation that doesn't necessarily make the judge want to jump into the box and get a hand in there.

7 - looks nice, probably good stuff
8 - now that looks pretty tasty
9 - wow, let me dive in right now - did Pavlov just ring a bell?

But I'll admit, I'm a judge that doesn't generally give less then a 6 unless the turn in really gives me a reason - basically a non-subjective reason. Not fully cooked meat, disqualification, something I'd only eat if I were hungry and stranded. I wouldn't give a 4 unless I wouldn't feed it to my dog.

Why? If a judge is giving a turn in a 6, that pretty much takes away the competitors chance of winning. And if it truly is a 6 (or less), the other judges will view it the same. No reason to beat a man down after spending lots of money and hard work.

I want to give out quality scores, but 8s and 9s are earned. For taste, 9's are always entirely eaten by me after all the other judges at my table have turned in their cards ... 8's probably too, at least get another bite. Seven's probably not unless it's the best taste score I was served per catagory. 6's, no need to go back to it for another bite after the table has completed judging for the catagory.

If a judge is giving less then a 7, I personally wonder why they want to take it home...

Now these are just my opinions and beliefs.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't forget you are judging the meat!!!!!! If someone turned in the best looking meat in the world and had nothing else in the box (no garnish) you would have to score that higher than the prettiest looking garnish and so-so looking meat. When I took the class this was highly emphasized. Garnish is optional and is only used to make the meat look better. No points are to be deducted for non use of garnish.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Don't forget you are judging the meat!!!!!! If someone turned in the best looking meat in the world and had nothing else in the box (no garnish) you would have to score that higher than the prettiest looking garnish and so-so looking meat. When I took the class this was highly emphasized. Garnish is optional and is only used to make the meat look better. No points are to be deducted for non use of garnish.
Exactly, the meat should be judged as submitted, irregardless of garnish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ribs 04-02-06.jpg (104.5 KB, 101 views)