Pork Butt Sugestions

rlic80

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Haven't smoked anything in a while since it's been a very busy few months. But it's almost 90 here in southern California and I figured what better time and temperature to spend all-day Sunday smoking some meat.

I picked up a few fatties and had the butcher go in the back and cut me off a 6 1/2lb bone-in pork butt.

What do you all suggest for the butt? Any rubs you've been workin on that you want me to try out? Marinades? Not really into injections, but you never know.

I'll try taking pics tomorrow. I plan on firing up the chimney around 10am and going for a good 8hrs at 225 or so on the UDS.

inject with salty apple juice rub with yellowmustard lawery seasoning and brown sugar

where can you get different rubs by tomorrow?
if you can, then my list would be
D-Dogs Apple
Smokin Guns hot
Rufus Teague
Blues Hog

All of those are good.

Haven't smoked anything in a while since it's been a very busy few months. But it's almost 90 here in southern California and I figured what better time and temperature to spend all-day Sunday smoking some meat.

I picked up a few fatties and had the butcher go in the back and cut me off a 6 1/2lb bone-in pork butt.

What do you all suggest for the butt? Any rubs you've been workin on that you want me to try out? Marinades? Not really into injections, but you never know.

I'll try taking pics tomorrow. I plan on firing up the chimney around 10am and going for a good 8hrs at 225 or so on the UDS.
I like a rub called Southern Succor (from the book Smoke & Spice..Cheryl and Bill Jamison).

1/2 cup ground black pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup salt
4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp cayenne

*Note...if you brine your meat, then skip the salt in the rub. Of course, you probably dont want to brine you pork butt as it will be moist anyway.

:biggrin:

Back