I like big butts!

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Pickens were slim at Sams the other day. I picked up a cryo pack of 2 butts that weighed in at like 12lbs. These little suckers always cook longer than the 8-9lbers. 16hrs on the egg and could have gone longer. All except the "round" muscle pulled fine. The fatties, abts and pork tenderloins came out great. The tenderloins were seasoned with Plowboy's Yardbird rub, the butts with Butt Rub and the fatties with Rudy's rub. I'll post some pics when I get home tonight.

12 lbs each? Those are some big butts. Nice score.

I think he was saying 12 pounds for the two, and I agree, they do seem to always take longer...

Yeah, but you cheated and did it on the BGE! LOL, "jealous mod." Can't wait for the pics.

Herre's the only pics I had time to snap.

Attachments

• IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 152
In Texas we do briskets, but I want to branch out. Any Butt advise? average of 1 hr per pound? what kind of rub or just smoke it? im a pecan fan for smoking, good choice?

In Texas we do briskets, but I want to branch out. Any Butt advise? average of 1 hr per pound? what kind of rub or just smoke it? im a pecan fan for smoking, good choice?

You're right down the road from me.

cook them just like briskets, 1.5hr/lb until internal reaches 190-205, or the bone pulls out clean. I usually use Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and pecan will do fine. I've been using cherry lately. Butts are more forgiving than briskets. Harder to mess them up.

Ty

talk to me about pullin it...the pork. i hadnt heard of such a thing until about 3 years ago watching bbq travel channel program that was on and have wanted to try it since. just was a bit equipment challenged but now i have a cg duo to use,and have been smoking something every weekend. im telling you the pics look da.mn good. and also , where you getting the cherry wood? i used apple/pecan on my ribs last weekend, bought the apple chips at a local store on Belknap and the pecan is front yard chainsaw obtainable.

Cherry logs at Westlake ACE Hardware on Beach and Basswood. Try the Chris Lilly shoulder recipe. For a single butt, I make 1/2 batch. Do a search it's everywhere. Good injection and I usually use whatever pork rub i have on hand. Go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself if you havn't.

2 clicks after the search and i have the rub and injection marinade recommended. thank you.

Back