Crispy Skin

A

ANIMAL

Down here in EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA we have these wonderful whole hog cook offs. I have been cooking in them for about 3 years now. And to this day I HAVE NOT figured out how to get the skin to "crack" when the judges get into it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

How hot are you cooking your hog?

I usually rub the skin with oil, and cook around 350... seems to result in skin like that.

Cooking it on a gas oil drum cooker at around 250-275 for 6-8 hours.i cook it skin side up for the first 6 hours then turn it.

Might want to crank the heat towards the end... I would think it would work the same way people put chicken on a hot grill at the end.

I don't cook a log of pigs, maybe 2 a year... but if you want crispy skin you need render out a lot of that fat that sits under the skin. I'm not sure if you're getting it all out at those times/temps. I typically end up with about 1 hour per every 10lbs hog cooking at around 325-350.

I don't do them for contests... just personal stuff, and for friends...

Also, "gas oil drum" does that mean its propane? Depending on the configuration, burning propane for that long in a closed cooker is going to generate moisture. You may have too humid an environment...

Ment to say an old fuel oil drum,,300 gal. it is in my pic as my avetar.

Cooking it on a gas oil drum cooker at around 250-275 for 6-8 hours.i cook it skin side up for the first 6 hours then turn it.

Wow 6 to 8 hours at 250-275, if I cooked my chicken that long at that temp it would be jerky. I don't go for crispy skin although I am told it can be done I just shoot for bite through, cooked between 230-275 for approximately 2 to 3 hours. But if you find out how crispy is done let us know.
Dave

Sorry for my confusion. For some strange reason I thought you were talking about chicken not hog. Guess you can understand why I was amazed how long you were cooking chicken, until I reread your post.
Dave

Last edited:
Cut a bit into the skin to the fat layer underneath in a crosswise pattern and rub salt into that.
The baste the outside with salted water every now and then and crank the heat up towards the end.

57_pork_033_Medium_1.jpg

Some people also throw a couple of buckets of boiling water over the pig just before cooking to give the skin a start.

DM

At the Newport pig cook off I tried a mixture of baking soda and olive oil and lemon juice,, seemed to work ok.

Back