La Caja China

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, I'm trolling craigslist, like I always do (looking for another free BGE!) and I come across this.http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/629836690.html
A bunch of E-mails sent and received before I can finally get someone to use the FARKIN' phone, and get some details. JD stopped by for coffee and since it was in his neck of the woods we set off to pick up said Pig Cooker.

When I said this was in JD's neck of the woods, I mean backwoods! There were so many switchbacks on these roads and I didn't realize how far we were going, there was still snow from last week!

Anyway we find the place and this had been sitting out all winter, a bit of rust but overall not in too bad of shape, a little cleaning and it'll be ready for a throwdown! So I offer the guy $40 and he didn't wince and said OK! JD said I probably could have gotten it for $30!

100_2448.jpg

100_2449.jpg

100_2450.jpg

We got it loaded up and he said "everythings for sale", and waved his hand at his collection of broken down trucks, tractors and assorted piles of crap, when all of a sudden JD and I heard a Banjo playing the tune from Deliverance and said "gotta run!"

Score!

Nice Score!

How come everyone else in the world gets the good stuff on Craigs List and not me?

Hows the inside? That rust on top shouldn't be an issue. Nice score!

Hows the inside? That rust on top shouldn't be an issue. Nice score!

The insides are in good shape. I think I may have the coal grate frame beefed up and the pig racks need a couple rods welded in place other than that its in decent shape.

Nice score, Brian!

Thanks Steph! I never took you up on the box dimensions offer because the steel I was planning to use turned out to be galvanized.

Now squeel like a big........(Deliverance Mod) WEEEEEE, WEEEEEE, WEEEEEE!

The wood looks pretty water logged. Sent it in th garage to dry out for a while and then retighten all the wing nuts. Rust on top is no biggie and if rusted on the inside just sand it down and rub with oil.

That is one SWEET score!!

Now where's the pig pron!

I'm already planning on mods for this! I like the idea of the rotisserie, and I've got that covered, and the top grill is an easy build and I'm itching to use some Dutch ovens with it. But can I hear from the Smoke generator users? Does it provide enough smoke flavor? Is the LaCaja or the Smoke Pistol or a Norco advised? Is the thermometer needed or can I get away with using a remote probe?
I'm open to any feedback!

I have not noticed much smoke from the pistol. However, I have only used it twice.
So, I think I need more practice.

Nice score! I personally would never have ventured that deep into the mountains.:shock:

Nice score Brian. Never know what you will find in the woods:eek: Can't wait for the pr0n:icon_cool

Back