UDS Question

M

McClung

Alright, so today I did my first cook on the UDS (yeah yeah I'll do photos next time around, it was raining today). I threw on a brisket and some beef ribs. The temp has been either 190 or 250 all during the cook. It started at 250 and I shut the intake down a bit and went to the gym for a couple hours. Came back and it was 190 so I tweeked it back and forth a bit and it would either be 190 or 250 so I gotta figure my ball valve out and settle it around 210-225. Anyhow, 8 hours into it and the brisket is already at 185, is that normal on the UDS? Seems kinda weird cuz it cut 4 hours off my old smoker. (the temp probe went in like butter so I think I'm gonna be pretty darn happy once I pull it out of the cooler)

One thing we've come to learn about the UDS is that nothing is normal. My UDS cooks faster than anything else I have.

8-10 hrs for a UDS brisket isn't uncommon. It definetely takes a bit to get a UDS dialed in. Once you find the sweet spot, you'll have fewer problems with temp control.

Was the 190 to 250 in the center or on the side?
Drums seem to run hotter in the middle, so it might have been hotter then you thought.
Welcome to the fraternity of drumheads.
Gotta post pron rain or no rain, lol.

Alright, so today I did my first cook on the UDS (yeah yeah I'll do photos next time around, it was raining today). I threw on a brisket and some beef ribs. The temp has been either 190 or 250 all during the cook. It started at 250 and I shut the intake down a bit and went to the gym for a couple hours. Came back and it was 190 so I tweeked it back and forth a bit and it would either be 190 or 250 so I gotta figure my ball valve out and settle it around 210-225. Anyhow, 8 hours into it and the brisket is already at 185, is that normal on the UDS? Seems kinda weird cuz it cut 4 hours off my old smoker. (the temp probe went in like butter so I think I'm gonna be pretty darn happy once I pull it out of the cooler)

I was in Edgewood Saturday for a BBQ Cooking class and was cooking and doing a Drum Smoker demonstration and everyone was having temp issues, from big Klose pits to WSM's! I experienced the same temp fluctuations as you described and was cooking with 2 vents open most of the time, which is VERY unusual for me at home. The pros said weather has alot to do with cooking and pit performance, and we are in a Low Pressure Front here in the Pacific Northwest according to the latest report, and this probably has a lot to do with it. 8-10 hours for brisket is about right, we did ours without foiling and just kept turning and spritzing with apple juice, I pulled mine at 195* and wrapped and coolered it for the ride home, and the others I tasted turned out very nice!

I saw that ya'll were just around the corner from me. I would have stopped by on my way back up the hill from Freddies but I wasn't about to make a left!

I had the same temp on the side and center. Weather was probably it since it was sun rain hail sun rain hail all day.

I saw that ya'll were just around the corner from me. I would have stopped by on my way back up the hill from Freddies but I wasn't about to make a left!

I had the same temp on the side and center. Weather was probably it since it was sun rain hail sun rain hail all day.

Damn! You should have stopped by and said Hi! There were a lot of drop in's.

100_2414.jpg

What do you do to your bed of coals before loading your cookers up and heading home? Snuff 'em, dump 'em or what?

Dump them! They had some galvanized tubs for the hot ashes. I opened all the vents and left the tops off and let he coals rip then dumped the coals. The drum in the middle probably had the most leftover since we did chicken and ribs on it.
BTW- Wayne, I tried something different on the drum. we rolled the St.Louis spares to make room for some cut up chicken and they were probably some of the better ribs I've done on the drum! I was worried about them curling for a comp cook but they flattened out and looked pretty good.

I was in Edgewood Saturday for a BBQ Cooking class and was cooking and doing a Drum Smoker demonstration and everyone was having temp issues, from big Klose pits to WSM's! I experienced the same temp fluctuations as you described and was cooking with 2 vents open most of the time, which is VERY unusual for me at home. The pros said weather has alot to do with cooking and pit performance, and we are in a Low Pressure Front here in the Pacific Northwest according to the latest report, and this probably has a lot to do with it. 8-10 hours for brisket is about right, we did ours without foiling and just kept turning and spritzing with apple juice, I pulled mine at 195* and wrapped and coolered it for the ride home, and the others I tasted turned out very nice!

I can attest to that as well...I was doing a brisket on my drum Sunday and my temps were all over the place. I was stable @ 220-225 for hours then it dropped to 190. I gave it a jiggle and it shot up to 250...then settled back down to 225 for an hour or so before dropping again to 190. Normally the drum is a set and forget and will cruise @ 225-250 all day long. Sunday was freaky!

I can attest to that as well...I was doing a brisket on my drum Sunday and my temps were all over the place. I was stable @ 220-225 for hours then it dropped to 190. I gave it a jiggle and it shot up to 250...then settled back down to 225 for an hour or so before dropping again to 190. Normally the drum is a set and forget and will cruise @ 225-250 all day long. Sunday was freaky!

I have had that problem also. It must be the drum gremlins moving around the country:lol:

I was thinking that maybe I was having DT's from all the drinking I did after class everyday down in Portland last week.

Back