I'm sure this isnt in the right place.....

hcarter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
But as my business has not even started yet I did not know where to put it. My question is: How many of us have written a business plan to start a small BBQ business? I am thinking about a concession like this. http://www.sybbq.com/b_con_lodge.php I am still in the initial planning and brainstorming stages, so don't beat me up too badly. I am thinking I could take something like that and do alot of fairs and festivals, maybe even the jazz and rib fest here in Columbus, Ohio State fair, things like that. Mods feel free to move to a better spot.

Last edited:
My fault....you're right. I just cut and pasted the address. I must of messed up somewhere. I cook for friends and family constantly, I love it. It' not always 'Que, but they always enjoy what I make. I've even considered getting one of those smaller portable smokers to do some vending in the downtown area here. Maybe I'm over thinking it. I have a tendency to do that.

We are in the same boat you are, just starting out and trying to get this off the ground. We have looked at County Fairs, but not workable for us at this point as they are all at least 5 if not 7 days long and they require you to be there at all times.
Festivals are something we are looking at, but again the short ones only.
The hardest part we are running into is the insurance end of it. Not all insurance carriers carry this type of insurance. Plan a big block of time to deal with this part of the business.
As to the trailer, if you need all the bells and whistles, go for it they are good looking trailers. If you are handy and can do some of it yourself, or even if you are not the guy that is doing our trailer now is basically doing a turn key for us. We already have the cookers we are going to use so that expense is taken care of. Look in the competition thread and look for Plowboys trailer, it was made buy the same guy and is almost like ours. I believe Todd has a smaller deck than we will have on ours. But then again he can build them to any size I believe.
Get friendly with your health inspector. Getting those areas down before you are running will make a good impression. Find out the requirements before you do anything. They are there to help you and are not the enemy.
Good luck!

You know!

Most Catholic churches that have schools also have ball fields that have concession stands. You might be able to get a little experience. I know for awhile we had some one do it for our concession stand. They would run it on the weekends during baseball and soccer season. They did all the planning and mock ordering. (Inventory and suggest what the stand needed for that week). Sometimes we would have special events where it would be open and we had large crowds. I know it sounds kinda silly at first but withe the small concession experience. You could write your business plan. I bet in one season 4 months you would have the experience dealing with concessions, small and large crowds. Also be able to write the plan and forecast at least short term business future. Just a thought!

PS Insurance would be carried by the church.

We are in the same boat you are, just starting out and trying to get this off the ground. We have looked at County Fairs, but not workable for us at this point as they are all at least 5 if not 7 days long and they require you to be there at all times.
I was wondering about the Ohio State fair in regards to that. I don't recall ever seeing a vendor being closed while the fair was open.
The hardest part we are running into is the insurance end of it. Not all insurance carriers carry this type of insurance. Plan a big block of time to deal with this part of the business.
I was looking at, I believe, an umbrella liability policy. Have you looked at something else?
As to the trailer, if you need all the bells and whistles, go for it they are good looking trailers.
My biggest concern is to be compliant with all health codes.
If you are handy ( I'm not:icon_blush:) and can do some of it yourself, or even if you are not the guy that is doing our trailer now is basically doing a turn key for us.
Where are you getting your trailer from?

We already have the cookers we are going to use so that expense is taken care of. Look in the competition thread and look for Plowboys trailer, it was made buy the same guy and is almost like ours. I believe Todd has a smaller deck than we will have on ours. But then again he can build them to any size I believe.
I will be starting this from scratch. I have a smoker but nothing I could put on/in a trailer properly.
Get friendly with your health inspector. Getting those areas down before you are running will make a good impression. Find out the requirements before you do anything. They are there to help you and are not the enemy.
Good luck!

Thanks for all your insight.

Most Catholic churches that have schools also have ball fields that have concession stands. You might be able to get a little experience. I know for awhile we had some one do it for our concession stand. They would run it on the weekends during baseball and soccer season. They did all the planning and mock ordering. (Inventory and suggest what the stand needed for that week). Sometimes we would have special events where it would be open and we had large crowds. I know it sounds kinda silly at first but withe the small concession experience. You could write your business plan. I bet in one season 4 months you would have the experience dealing with concessions, small and large crowds. Also be able to write the plan and forecast at least short term business future. Just a thought!

PS Insurance would be carried by the church.
Ashmont you are a genius. My mother is the Parish Administrator at MY church. I certainly could talk to her and see if I could work something out. I believe that will be my next step.

Also

Our church since not for profit with no hot meal plan only has to be inspected from the Health Dept once a year. Find out who is there during inspection and tag along....

Scotty B has a much sweeter set up for a whole lot less money. I am going to get one myself for comps. Give him a PM and he can fill you in. He is we'll smoke u on this forum.

Spice

Back