MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Best of the West Mesquite Lump

Anyone using it?

I was in bLowes this morning and took a stroll through the grill aisle and they had half a pallet of 6.6lb bags for $3.98. I think Bigmista mentioned using it.

I usually get Lazarri Mesquite in the 40lb sacks and bust it up. Is this stuff any good?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

I use 5 star mesquite lump. Get it at Smart and Final, I love it for grilling. I use a 70% to 30% mix kingsford to mesquite. On the UDS I just use two or three pieces for smoking. It can be very strong. But in small amounts is really good on chix and turkey. I will reverse the mix if I am searing steaks, it burns Hot! Uhh, No I have not used Best of the West
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
JediDog
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been using that 40 # bag they carry at Smart and Final. I would say it's alright , but the ash production is a bit high. Can't be beat for the money though. Naked Whiz gave it a normal rating I believe.
JediDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
big brother smoke

Yes....I use this stuff. It is ok, but there is sort of a fireworks show in the beginning (lots of sparks, snap crackle and pop)! Also has a lot of "shake" at the bottom (small pieces)!

Love the price at Smart and Final we can get 40lbs. for $12.99

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
thirdeye

I've used a couple of bags, it's more expensive here. I like the price and quality of Lazzari better.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
scott millman
On the road to being a farker

I agree you can't beat the price at Smart & Final for the 40 lb bags....I use Best of the West a majority of the time, especially since I am out of Rancher....been experimenting with RO, Cowboy and BBQs Galore brand....mostly you get better chunks from BotW, moreso than the other brands, but guess it is all a matter of personal preference....even when I used rancher, I was mixing with BotW....so always have a 40 lbr or 2 around....guess my advice is try whatever you find and make your best guess
scott millman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
swamprb

Cash & Carry has had the Lazarri in 8lb 4packs but I stopped by to grab some and all they had was Western Family briqs and Matchlight, I asked the Mgr. and he just shrugged and said the 40lb bags are outside the front door! Not a good sign!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
Norcoredneck

Best of the Western fireworks at Smart and Final is $12-$15per 40lbs. bag. Works good in drum.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Best of the Western fireworks at Smart and Final is $12-$15per 40lbs. bag. Works good in drum.

Norco do you use all mesquite in the drum? I have found it makes the meat smoke flavor to strong!
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote