Expanded steel rip-off?????

B

bigmeatbbq

Went to a local scrap yard to get a piece of expanded steel for my fire box in my uds. Found a piece about 4.5' x 4.5'. When I went to pay for it they wanted $30.00 for it. It sounded high to me. They took $25.00 for it because they could'nt break a 100 dollar bill.(had that and a twenty and a five.) Did I get screwed? I've no idea what expanded steel goes for new, let alone from a scrapyard.

12.99 at Home Depot for 12"x24".. So not a bad deal.....

I don't know what scrap yard pricing should be, but at the big box home improvments stores you would have never found a piece that big and it would have cost a lot more on a per square foot basis.

I feel better at least. Will post pics of project"UDS"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I typed faster than my brain can reason...I don't think it is a bad deal
At first I thought it read 4.5"x4.5"....My Bad!!!!!:cry:

Last edited:
12.99 at Home Depot for 12"x24".. So not a bad
deal.....

I think this post was edited :wink:

that explains my inability to sit since then....be the last time I go there. wish i knew that nate. HD about an hour away from me.

and you can sit down again. You paid $.81 sq/ft, HD's price is $6.50 sq/ft

I promise from now on to wear my glasses when I read...and before I respond!!!!!:wink:

Went to a local scrap yard to get a piece of expanded steel for my fire box in my uds. Found a piece about 4.5' x 4.5'. When I went to pay for it they wanted $30.00 for it. It sounded high to me. They took $25.00 for it because they could'nt break a 100 dollar bill.(had that and a twenty and a five.) Did I get screwed? I've no idea what expanded steel goes for new, let alone from a scrapyard.

Cost of metal is based on the price per pound with a coefficient built in for various shapes. Steel dealers or combo steel/recyclers add money for a cutting charge if you don't buy the whole piece. Usually this is charged off to the 1st buyer. Now here is where the individual dealer may have different policy.... The leftovers, which are called "drops" have to be stored and handled more than once. In most cases they are not as valuable because of their odd size, so some places give good deals on the drops. However, it's possible that they see an opportunity when a non-regular customer comes in looking for a specific size that is common to the drop pile......

If you have two dealers you can check prices between them, if not dickering with them is not out of the question.

Does make a big difference on the price per sq. foot if its stainless or regular steel also.

I recently bought 4 pieces of 12"x48" expanded metal on ebay for $42 including shipping. If my math is good, thats roughly the same size as you got, and yours was cheaper. You win
icon_wink.gif

Quit Grumbling!!:p My HD doesn't carry expanded metal, went to a metal shop.....4 x 8??? $96.00!!!:eek::eek:

They were asking about $60.00 here for a 4 x 8 sheet and didn't have any drops when i looked monday. And then there are island prices.

By my computations, you paid $18.32 less than the best price I can find.
So--go buy a case of Brewskies and celebrate :lol:

Seriously, ya done good.

TIM

3 bucks a square foot at the local machine shop, $68.50 for the sheet...

Are we done making the new-guy feel better :wink:

Thanks for the info guys. Everyone here is always willing to help.

From,
"The New Guy"

Back