BWS owners

J

Jack2u2

Picking mine up today. Was wondering what you all used in yours. Briquettes, lump? I've read the posts on fuel for the UDS, but I haven't seen anything on the BWS, so I was hoping some of you would have some input! Thanks

Jack

I used to use lump until I purchased over a 1,000 lbs of Rancher briquettes last summer. Now I start with about 9 lbs. of charcoal & 4 - 5 fist sized chunks of wood.

I use Kingsford charcoal in mine. I am sure you are going to hear both on here and you can go either way with it and get good burn times. It is probably more of a personal preference than anything else since the smoker is so efficient either one will work.

The burn times are fairly close depending upon what you use. Lump will leave less ash and give you some more smoke flavor.

I have 7 bags of Rancher I need to get rid of but it produces a lot of ash so I've been mixing it in with Wicked Good lump because that is some fine coal that doesn't hardly produce any ash and it burns forever. Which means I'll have my current stash of Rancher forever too.

In good weather at home during a day cook, I mix about 66/33 Rancher (in hopes to rid it from my garage). In bad weather or overnight cook I mix about 70/30 Wicked Good (so I can stay inside and extended sleep). At comps, nearly all Wicked Good, maybe mix with some Royal Oak or Best Choice lump if I have an open bag that I want to get rid of.

Of course, I mix will all kinds of woods. As long as those woods are cherry, cherry, cherry, cherry, cherry, apple or pecan.

Primarily use Rancher briqs, just like alot of the other guys because Home depot had it on sale for $2.99 a bag last summer, but I also throw in some lump and some hardwood chunks.

Great thread. I just had a BWS Chubby delivered today and cant wait to get home and play with it. I would love to see some of the current owners drop some tips on us new guys. I will probably be using some sort of lump, but it will depend on what I can easily get. What about no water in the water pan? Started doing that with my WSM and I like the results.

We use Kingsford and have gone to the water pan full of sand. Liking the results for a few reasons. With water, the meat was literally too wet, now mops make sense so we can add that flavor layer and the ease of cleaning the smoker is 10 fold, that water pan was the bane of my existence always soaking in the laundry room sink. Enjoy, we love our Party, we do all our competition meats on it, though Tom is now trying to talk me into a trailer so we can haul and use the large spicewine during comps. :roll:

Bws

We use Royal Oak lump almost exclusively. Threw the Rancher in the garbage as that is where it belonged. We will occasionaly use Wicked Good and of course whatever we can borrow if we run low. We always use water in the water pan. For wood we use apple, hickory or whatever is lying around. I like to throw a handful or two of pellets on too if I remember. We do not use a guru or stoker. We have been using a competitor fwiw.
Hope this helps
nancee

Picking mine up today. Was wondering what you all used in yours. Briquettes, lump? I've read the posts on fuel for the UDS, but I haven't seen anything on the BWS, so I was hoping some of you would have some input! Thanks

Jack

I used to use lump until I purchased over a 1,000 lbs of Rancher briquettes last summer. Now I start with about 9 lbs. of charcoal & 4 - 5 fist sized chunks of wood.

Primarily use Rancher briqs, just like alot of the other guys because Home depot had it on sale for $2.99 a bag last summer, but I also throw in some lump and some hardwood chunks.

Haha we all stocked up on the Rancher last summer didnt we. I think between my neighbors and I we went through 60+ bags already. Funny thing happened to me yesterday. I was in my local HD and spotted a half of a pallet hiding in their overstock. I am going back this weekend to grab it:cool:

Jack, I use the Rancher briq's with a bit of lump mixed in along with a few fist sized wood chunks. I start a chimney and dump it on top of my charcoal basket of unburned briq's. I will go back to K but as a few mentioned it was/is too cheap to pass up. Check out this thread for some of the mods I did to my Party and congrads on your new aquistion. Share some pics when you get her home.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=488335#post488335

We use Kingsford and have gone to the water pan full of sand. Liking the results for a few reasons. With water, the meat was literally too wet, now mops make sense so we can add that flavor layer and the ease of cleaning the smoker is 10 fold, that water pan was the bane of my existence always soaking in the laundry room sink. Enjoy, we love our Party, we do all our competition meats on it, though Tom is now trying to talk me into a trailer so we can haul and use the large spicewine during comps. :roll:
What kind of temps do you see with the sand vs water? I've been putting off trying it, dont know why though:roll:

Thanks, all! I'll season the unit Thursday and cook Saturday. I'll have pictures by Saturday night. Would have some now, but I've been outside, just staring at it. Hate to get it dirty, but I know once I do, it'll be going every weekend.

Great thread. I just had a BWS Chubby delivered today and cant wait to get home and play with it. I would love to see some of the current owners drop some tips on us new guys. I will probably be using some sort of lump, but it will depend on what I can easily get. What about no water in the water pan? Started doing that with my WSM and I like the results.

Dawg- go to the BWS website and sign up in there forum. You will get some fantastic responses from the Pros.

Back