Dome temps for BGE...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Good Morning Folks,

I have my first brisket on "Ichiro" and am curios as to what my dome temp should be in order to maintain a 250 deg grate temp? Present dome temp is 290.

JD

Because of the fact the ceramics load up with heat you want your dome temp in the 225 to 235 range. The ceramic heat load does a lot of the cooking and 290 is too high for most brisket cooks. If the temp stay high you will want to wrap the brisket in foil after say 3 to 4 hours, add some apple juice or other liquid to package. The brisket will finish very fast using this technique. Keep a close eye on the internal temp of the brisket, get it off the cooker at 190 internal. Wrap in another layer of foil and place in a dry cooler for a couple of hours before carving.

Because of the fact the ceramics load up with heat you want your dome temp in the 225 to 235 range. The ceramic heat load does a lot of the cooking and 290 is too high for most brisket cooks. If the temp stay high you will want to wrap the brisket in foil after say 3 to 4 hours, add some apple juice or other liquid to package. The brisket will finish very fast using this technique. Keep a close eye on the internal temp of the brisket, get it off the cooker at 190 internal. Wrap in another layer of foil and place in a dry cooler for a couple of hours before carving.

Thanks Jim...time to throttle it down and see where she settles!:p I've got a temp probe in the flat as well.
John

JD
Did you pick up the BGE at the Egg Fest?

Yep...great deal! I did a couple of Papa Murphy's pizza's on it before we went on vacation abnd they turned out ok. Thought I'd do a long low-n-slow to season it a bit before crankin it up for some "real" pizza! LOL! Got an 8 lb "Waygu" flat on it right now...didn't have enough room for the point...and had to trim the flat a bit to get it on. The jury is still out on the Waygu...very fatty. I had about 1/2 to 3/4 inch fat cap before trimming...

John

Good Morning Folks,

I have my first brisket on "Ichiro" and am curios as to what my dome temp should be in order to maintain a 250 deg grate temp? Present dome temp is 290.

JD
JD, when my grate temp is 250, the dome is right under 300 - just like yours. I use a well- calibrated BBQ Guru with the roach clip attached to the grate, so I know it's reading true grate temp. :wink: With the plate setter legs up and the grate right at lid level, that's the way it runs. If you have the meat on the grate extender, you'll want to drop the temp some.

Last weekend when I ran it at 200 grate temp all night for brisket, the dome temp didn't drop under 225 until about 12 hours into the cook.

JD, when my grate temp is 250, the dome is right under 300 - just like yours. I use a well- calibrated BBQ Guru with the roach clip attached to the grate, so I know it's reading true grate temp. :wink: With the plate setter legs up and the grate right at lid level, that's the way it runs. If you have the meat on the grate extender, you'll want to drop the temp some.

Last weekend when I ran it at 200 grate temp all night for brisket, the dome temp didn't drop under 225 until about 12 hours into the cook.

WOW...I'm getting all kinds of responses...I was hoping not to have to resort to this but I'm gonna have to set my oven thermo on the grate to get an accurate reading...gotta go pop the top and add the thermo. Thanks Bro!

JD

Ok...here's the straight skinny...dome temp 255 (BGE Thermo)...grate temp 220 (Taylor oven thermo)...outside temp 50...full load of BGE lump...inverted plate setter (legs up) using tin foil on plate setter as drip pan...one leg facing the rear of the BGE as recommended by the Naked Whiz. Two hours in to smoke and meat temp is 145 (Taylor probe thermo inserted 4 inches in thickest part of flat).

JD

Ok...here's the straight skinny...dome temp 255 (BGE Thermo)...grate temp 220 (Taylor oven thermo)...outside temp 50...full load of BGE lump...inverted plate setter (legs up) using tin foil on plate setter as drip pan...one leg facing the rear of the BGE as recommended by the Naked Whiz. Two hours in to smoke and meat temp is 145 (Taylor probe thermo inserted 4 inches in thickest part of flat).

JD

My large Egg will have a 30° difference between the dome and the grate early on in the cook. 7 or 8 hours later the difference is sometimes as close as 15°.

I also find the the difference between dome and grate equalizes as the cook goes on, any more I don't even check grate temps. I look for dome temps in the zone I'm looking for.

I cook Snake River Farms American Kobe brisket all the time and I have not found higher pit temps helpful. I leave fat cap on, maybe trim some of the hard fat.

Cooked about 60 pounds of these briskets yesterday for a catering, dial in 225 to 230 and those four biskets were done in aprox 10 hours. These were full backers.

30 to 35 deg difference for me. I shoot for about a 260-270 dome temp. 235 grill temp. I also agree with the temp. equalizing deeper into the cook.

30 to 35 deg difference for me. I shoot for about a 260-270 dome temp. 235 grill temp. I also agree with the temp. equalizing deeper into the cook.

I can now "officially" relate to that...last dome temp 7 hours in to the smoke was 245...grate temp 240. I tweaked the vents down a hair to bring both temps down to the 225-230 range. Meat temp at 7 hours is 172. Haven't hit the "plateau" yet.

JD

Waygu doesn't stall like most briskets I've cooked, should not really notice one.

Waygu doesn't stall like most briskets I've cooked, should not really notice one.

Cool...I did notice my meat temps drop a few degrees over the last couple of hours. They went from 172-168 and holding steady at 168 for about an hour now. Hope it's like you said though. We're planning on eating around 7:00 and I want to cooler it for at least an hour while I throw on some ABT's :biggrin:

JD

Goin' on 10 hours for the 8lb Waygu flat...dome temp 240...meat temp 180...8 more degrees to go before cooler!!! :p:biggrin::razz: ABT's goin' on the Smokey Joe!

JD

Pulled the brisket at 7:15 with an internal temp of 190 per my new "Green" Thermapen...LOL! Brisket in the cooler wrapped in tin foil and a towel...my taste buds are workin' overtime here!!! LOL!!!:biggrin: My wife just poppoed the Columbia Crest Cab...we're gettin' primed!

JD

Back