48 Hours

nthole

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well, just 48 hours till our team takes a shot at our first competition. About half packed. Taking tomorrow off to do all the last items shopping and get all the Q supplies.

I'm just ready to go now. Just get out there, get setup and just try and envision that I'm only sitting in my backyard and nothing else. Not so much butterflies of being nervous, just ready to go.

So who's got any last minute pearls they remember from their first comp?

I was nervous till the end. Think I slept 45 mins that fist time.
Good luck and have fun, thats what it's all about.

Relax... go slow... start your fire early... prep your meat early...

talk to people, have a beer... relax... it's bbq

I remember not knowing that it was legal to trim meat before going to the contest, then feeling hurried when we got there at 2:00. Now the chicken and briskets are trimmed the night before. Plus it was the first time we put up the 10x20 tent, so it took a little longer then it does now. We also learned a 3rd person goes a long way. 2 people doing everything wore us out.

Try to get to the contest early Friday if possible. If you get there in the afternoon you'll feel rushed all day and in this heat it's nice to setup while it's a little cooler. Prep your meat after lunch then relax and go meet some people. You'll be surprised at how many people will volunteer to help you when they find out that this is your first contest. Have fun!

We're heading out there early, about 10ish. And we do have 3 people so that's a bonus.

I thought you couldn't do anything to the meat until after the meat inspection? I suppose it would be nice to have the thighs trimmed up early, although we have most the night to do that and the ribs. It's mostly the butts and briskets that hit the pits right quick.

You can trim it but you can't season it in any way. Relax, make some new friends and don't try to feed a whole bunch of people the night before turn in.

Good luck!!

Spice

I thought you couldn't do anything to the meat until after the meat inspection?

That's exactly what we thought. But like Spicewine sayz, trim away, but don't do seasoning of any kind before inspection. That's no brining, no injecting, no rubbing, no marinading, none of that. Trimming the chicken and brisket at home seems to help us a lot. The pork and ribs trimming (demembraining) go pretty quick, so we just wait til we get there to do them.

We try to locate the meat inspector as soon as we can. We normally have the inspection done in the morning.

I think the biggest thing is to relax and have a good time for the first time (and ever other time). Don't stress when the temps run a little high that kind of thing. Just try to cook like you do every time you cook and things will go just fine.

Best of luck brother.....since it's your first cook, you may want to keep a log.....think things out ahead of time on your long meats as to weight of meat and cooking time in your cooker per pound.....don't run yourself short....try to be done and in the cooler by 10:30 am,....about 45 minutes before slicing or pulling, roll your foil back and put your meat back in the cooker to bark back up, sauce a little at this time and that helps to bark as well, but that's your choice....I'm a firm believer that a brisket needs to rest, with two 1st place finishes this year in brisket, I think I may be right, above is just how I done them....
Now.....go get you a top 10 finish!

My advice to you is to drink heavily! Always works for me!:twisted::eusa_clap

Good Luck!

Get meat inspection done early, prep all you can so you can relax in the afternoon. There's so much to see at your first comp, smokers, set-up's, meeting all the teams, it's really amazing and the time really fly's by...
You'll get all the help you could ever ask for, just ask, everybody help's the newbies (until you place) then your on your own. Good luck!!:mrgreen:

Along the lines of what Mr Kick said, write out a time line & include not only what needs to be done but which of the three of you is responcable for it. We did our first a few weeks ago and found it really helpful. I wrote it out on a 2 X 3 white board so it was easy to read. Also have a plan in case something goes wrong. Like a slow cooking butt - remember you can slice or chop it.

Most of all relax, have fun and remember that there is a lot to be done in the morning so somebody should be relativly alert come sun rise.

Tom

Have fun

Have a great time, drink lots of beer..
prep everything early then drink some
more.. Then get ready early for turn in's
then if you get everything in on time and
you will have fun you will do great.. And if you
feel overwellmed.. Try what do yell a few
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
and have fun.. and If you get any calls
we will have you hooked..

Probably most important item (we forgot) a nice big clock to keep an eye on..........better than trying to open your phone with gloves on!!:wink:

Along the lines of what Mr Kick said, write out a time line & include not only what needs to be done but which of the three of you is responcable for it. We did our first a few weeks ago and found it really helpful. I wrote it out on a 2 X 3 white board so it was easy to read. Also have a plan in case something goes wrong. Like a slow cooking butt - remember you can slice or chop it.

Most of all relax, have fun and remember that there is a lot to be done in the morning so somebody should be relativly alert come sun rise.

Tom

Yes, this is what we did in our first comp also and we still do it.

Another tip, don't go changing the way you cook. When you get there and start BS'n with the others teams there's bound to be a couple a guys offering advise, if you asked for it or not! Don't get any ideas! If you have practiced your cooking and are satisfied with it, stick to it. During our first comp we got some different cooking advise and were second guessing ourselves the whole time. We cooked the way we knew how and placed 17th out of 38 with a 5 place walk in brisket. If you get some good advise you can always try it at home the next weekend. My $.02 :-D

Jason

Back