THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Well, I wanted to make some capicola. Reminds me of visiting my Nonni back in the day (god rest their souls).

Anyway, I love that stuff and havent really had it in a while. So, I bought a boston butt and seperated the copa (aka money) muscle from the rest of it. A little trim and in the vac seal it goes until my vacation starts later. I took the rest of the butt and cubed it up for sausage at a later date. Had all the stuff out, figured why not prep it and save time? I am going to equilibrium brine for about two weeks, and then use an Umai dry bag for the rest. I need to get my spices together and what not as well. I will try and post in here once it's all done...I imagine this will be a 2 month project or somewhere around there.

52564474240_11af2f2eff_b.jpg

Will be keeping an eye.

Ex's uncle was OTB Italian and made proscuitto in his basement. Remember meat aging, hung just below the floor joists. Stuff was awesome. Wish I'd paid more attention to the details of his craft work.

Thanks guys! I’m looking forward to this as well. If all goes well and I like the process, I’ll up my game to a drying chamber so I can do more.

Little Cliff Calvin snadamo fact: My grandparents were OTB from Sicily and immigrated to Montreal. My dad was first born of our name in Canada and I’m first born of our name in America.

I did that about a year and a half ago, just didn't trip my trigger. All that talk about delicious fat never made my tongue happy.
Got a lot of Umi bags left, I'll find something else to try.
Ed

Thanks everyone! I have been on this "I think I can make lunchmeat better and/or possibly cheaper" kick lately, so this fits the bill. And I find it fun.

@ModelMaker, sorry it didn't work out for you. Suggest a salami of some sort (soprasetta, genoa, etc...) That was going to be my next endeavor.

I am doing this right now. Cured and just put them in curing chamber. Ive got at 57 F but my humidity is at like 96%. Trying to fix that. My curing chamber is size of mini fridge so dont know if a brand dehumidifier to small to fit? Can't wait to see how yours works!

I made some about a year ago, it turned out great, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the results. Seeing these posts is making me want to get a curing fridge back online.

Update 1

I FINALLY got around to gathering the ingredients and mixed in my salt and #2 curing salt by % of weight, and the rest. I honestly wish smell-o-vision existed because my GOD this was truly amazing. Scraped up as much as I possibly could and vac sealed it. I will flip and/or massage every day or two for about two weeks; then in to the Umai Dry bag!

52578791596_255256c1a9_b.jpg

52579230350_2c71c791b5_b.jpg

52579317688_51575c7ac7_b.jpg

Back