Vegan Chili (well, almost)

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I saw this recipe on Wil Yeung's YouTube channel (yeungmancooking) and thought it looked really good. It's a vegan chili, but I haven't turned to the dark side. I stuck to the recipe but doctored it at the end so I don't lose my Brethren card. :biggrin1: No grilling outside with this one other than the carry over from yesterday's grilling.

Some of the ingredients: Red Chili Oil, Red Pepper Flakes, Cumin, Cinnamon, Oregano, Chili Powder, Dark and Light Soy Sauce and that's firm Tofu in the bowl -

KrEwEDJ.jpg

Dry the tofu, crumble the tofu, saute it in EVOO for a few minutes -

n7eArhx.jpg

Add the two Soy sauces, cook for a while longer and set aside. You could almost convince yourself it looks like ground beef. (I said almost) :rolleyes: -

yr8CFs9.jpg

In a Dutch oven, heat the red chili oil, saute diced red onion, add diced garlic and all the herbs. Tomato paste is added followed by brown lentils and the crumbled tofu -

08uGse2.jpg

Pureed tomatoes and veggie stock are added to the stock pot. I used leftover beef stock since this is for me and the Mrs. and I don't need to be strict with the vegan recipe -

2jiQOHm.jpg

Using some of the leftover sausage from yesterday's stuffed red peppers -

1gIZLBV.jpg

Sausage is added to the stock pot along with fresh corn off the cob, also made yesterday. I stuck to the recipe and added a square of dark chocolate and a bit of maple syrup -

lForTQK.jpg

Let it simmer on low for 45-50 minutes until the lentils become tender and it's time to serve -

fbGV44G.jpg

gOpT9P1.jpg

txU0NpG.jpg

4wtM043.jpg

fOItkfT.jpg

I've gotta admit, this was very, very good! You'd be hard pressed to tell that there are no beans or ground beef in this. Yeah, the sausage helped but prior to adding it, the chili still tasted excellent. If I hadn't made it myself, I'd have a hard time knowing there was tofu in it.

I am simply amazed at how good this was. Now, I'm not suggesting that members toss out their beans and beef but if you've got vegetarian or vegan guests, you might want to give this a try.

Thanks for following along on a chili side trip this afternoon. Would I make it again? Yes. Will it replace my normal chili recipe? Probably not, but it still was quite a good bowl of chili.

Regards,
-lunchman

Sounds good. Not big on Tofu but would try it. I keep hearing about chocolate in Xhili. Never tried that. I do like to put a beer in mine. Just made a large pot and put in a can of Adams Octoberfest
Beer is good in chili. From experience, it's best to eat or freeze any leftover beer chili by the end of day 2. Something about the beer makes it go south (gawd awful rank smelling) by day 3.

Definitely not a tofu fan but the presentation looks great, Dom.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had tofu, at least on purpose.
The chili looks good though.

Bowl please.

That's interesting

Beer is good in chili. From experience, it's best to eat or freeze any leftover beer chili by the end of day 2. Something about the beer makes it go south (gawd awful rank smelling) by day 3.

Chili never last that long in the fridge here
Never thought of having Avocado with chili May have to give that a try :thumb:

Thank you for posting, Dom! I have a vegan relative who visits once or twice a year. I will give this a try!

Sounds good! I think you insulted a vegan god by adding the sausage but they might forgive you if you give your bbq meat a name before you prepare it next time :wacko::crazy:

The best thing about chili, is that every recipe is different. That allows so much wiggle room to do a version like this. I have several vegan versions of chili that I prepare, and all are tasty. I did a vegan pumpkin chili this week, with 3 types of beans, etc etc.

I've also been anti-tofu for a while. I don't like the texture in the traditional form. Like when it's cubed and in a soup? or fried? No thanks. But crumbled buys you a lot of leeway to mimic the texture of ground beef. I also use the Better than Bouillon Vegan Beef/Chicken Stock regularly. Great way to help bring normal people flavors to vegan food.

I'm definitely not a fan of using things like Impossible Beef and the sort, but I do enjoy the challenge of making a plant based dish that anyone can enjoy. This seriously looks like one that would fit the bill, and I'll have to give it a shot! (also, I'll for sure use the sour cream like you did!) I will have to give this one a shot, I think it will be a nice change over just the lentils.

I still don't understand vegans/vegetarians, I don't want to eat meat, but I want it to taste like meat. Just eat the damn meat, you closet meat eater!

Thanks for the experiment Dom. I don't mind tofu so I will be trying this for sure due to your review. There will be an addition of cubed up chili brisket added however

We had the leftover chili for lunch yesterday and it tasted even better than on day one, but that's normal since the flavors had time to meld.

I've always shied away from tofu, having used it for the first time in my life a few months back in hot and sour soup where it was tolerable. I agree with Justin that it seems much better when it's crumbled and fried.

Again, this is an excellent alternative if you have vegan or vegetarian guests.

Oh, my first encounter with tofu? At a salad bar, where I thought it was a cube of feta cheese. Yuk. Took me about 30 years to try it again.

Back