Gator Time- Live Cook (not the gator)

okiej

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
We do a themed Christmas every year to avoid the overload of turkey everywhere. This year its' Cajun. So Wally travelled from New Orleans up to Oklahoma on dry ice to bask in my Shirley Fabrication Hickory sauna. Wally is small, about 8.5# and 4'. After arrival we placed him on ice in an ice chest to thaw for 24 hours. Then last night I filled his belly full of Kielbasa sausage which thrilled him to stiches. Gave him a massage in olive oil and rubbed him down in a combination of SPOG and Old Bay seasoning. Gave him a plank of wood to chew on (Those teeth are like puppy teeth, sharp), He's been chillin since last night and now we are waiting for smoker sauna to stabilize at 250f or just under. He's planning to join us for dinner about 2:00 today :-D I'm going to make us some coffee and will update later

Attachments

• CT1.jpg
    CT1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 375
  • CT2.jpg
    CT2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 371
  • CT3.jpg
    CT3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 368
  • CT4.jpg
    CT4.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 373
  • CT5.jpg
    CT5.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 368
Love the start to this. I'd have no clue in which direction to go, but I sure could follow your lead.

:pop2:

Other food running a little behind. So I pulled gator at IT158 and left in foil covered with towels for a little carryover cooking. Target was 160-165. Gets rubbery after 165. So busy with all the thing going on, tons!!! of food from jambalaya, shrimp, bread pudding. You name it. Gator was good and everyone loved it. The white fat in the tail pulls right off with finger tips. Jaw meat was great, but tiny on this one. I will do this again!

Attachments

• CT11.jpg
    CT11.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 313
  • CT12.jpg
    CT12.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 310
That's an appetizer that'll get your attention! Sounds like quite the celebratory feast!

We’re frying some alligator up this evening for dinner. I like this version too. Will have to give it a go. Looked great!

Thanks for sharing! That's my kind of Christmas dinner. I'm not beholden to tradition either. But kudos to you and your family for being open minded. That would not go over well here

Back