Grillin in the Park

cb25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, it seems as if I’ve been tasked with manning the grill at my wife’s company picnic tomorrow, and could use some tips/encouragement. Haven’t cooked on charcoal in awhile, let alone for 50-150 people for a couple years.

Most things out of my control - someone else is getting the meat (burgers and brats). I’m expecting frozen patties but have requested otherwise. I’ll be grilling on those standard community grills they put in parks. Can’t bring our own.

Now the bar has been set pretty low - previous years, everything tasted like lighter fluid and was either burnt, raw or both.

I’ll bring my own tools and seasonings, so I can at least control that. Will have my pen thermometer to double check until I get the hang of the grill. Im bringing lump and briquette charcoal and my chimney to start the fires. Im thinking about a beer bath for the brats too, but to be determined tonight.

Any thoughts, tips or pitfalls that I should know - especially on a community style grill with no lid??

Get there early and check the condition of the grill. Bring cleaning supplies just in case. I've never used a public grill but I've seen plenty of them left in a total mess. Good luck and have fun.

It's not easy to get charcoal from the chimney into that type of grill. The grate is adjustable but it's not removable to allow you to dump the chimney directly into the grill.
Potentially 150 people, that's a lot of burgers and brats for one grill. Anticipate needing to add more fuel. So get that chimney started before you need to add more.
1-2 layers of charcoal. Too much charcoal and you might have to worry about flare ups. Maybe also bring a spray bottle of water to douse the flame if needed.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I'd get on the horn right now and get a few Weber kettles involved.

Also, the grates on those grills around here are super wide - so I'd bring something -like a camping grate or even your grates from your gasser to set on top.
You might want to line the perimeter with coals or something to get a cool spot on that grill - even a folding table next to it to pull the stuff out of the flames and rest it before putting it back on. Those frozen patties will be fine - don't thaw them beforehand or they will turn to mush. You sure can season them, though.
Pictures are mandatory!

Oh man. Thank you all.

I really love having something to do in these situations. Saves me from some awkward small talk where at least I have a task to focus on. I’m looking forward to it.

I believe there are two grills right next to each other so we’ll probably load both of them up and be ready to replenish fuel as needed too.

Let’s see how it goes!

If you can find some grill grates to use on top of the grill or even some type of flat top grill ...., sounds like a lot of work and pressure. Hope the bystanders are helpers and not just watchers ...

Sounds like a job that someone other than yourself volunteered you for because your a BBQ guy LOL! I don't have any advice.. other than take cleaning tools and FOIL.. I have no clue how many times I've actually had to cover those park grills with foil cuz they were disgusting.

Oh I’m expecting a lot of looky-loo’s. lol.

At this point, I’ve got good beer chilling and I’m ready to have some fun. This is probably the first big thing we’ve done in 18 months.

You got it, good beer :-D. As long as there is not a hard schedule for dinner time it should be some good fun

Sounds like a job that someone other than yourself volunteered you for because your a BBQ guy LOL! I don't have any advice.. other than take cleaning tools and FOIL.. I have no clue how many times I've actually had to cover those park grills with foil cuz they were disgusting.

LOL. Absolutely. Wife volunteered. It’s her company. And I’m definitely a bbq guy. BUT it turned out great. Learned a few things to bring back next year. Got tons of great feedback. Beer brat hot tub was the star of the show and people were impressed that I was checking temps. Said I didn’t want to poison a group of attorneys! Lol.

Thanks for the replies all. Will see if I can get some pics uploaded, though didn’t get great finishing shots because I could barely keep up with demand and had very little leftover!

I hear you brother. I did a 75th birthday party with no where near what you had, and it was like...............can you help me here brother? Everyone lines up at once. It was my first time and thankfully a neighbour guy walked up and helped out. I can't imagine how you did that on park grills. Good job man!

Back