Bar-Style Thin Crust Pizzas ~ National Pizza Month Throwdown

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
We're in the middle of a National Pizza Month Throwdown so I figured.... why not cook pizza all month?

These first pies I made are thin crust bar-style. There is more room for beer when there is less dough on board. :biggrin1:
Mrs ~t~ blind bakes the crust and we pressure can our own sauce. Sometimes we'll add some homemade pesto to the sauce. The crust is crispy and chewy and the toppings get pretty close to the edge.

frjkeCI.jpg

Aqhvnn8.jpg

nLh4TRX.jpg

This is typical of the toppings.

7TO3J5c.jpg

The cooking method for all of my pizza is using my Big Green Egg with plate setter (heat shield) and a 450° pit temp with B&B lump charcoal. The pizza sits directly on the grate and takes roughly 12 minutes for a regular finish, or about 16 minutes for a well done pie.

QyEwbbM.jpg

This is a regular finish on this 1st pepperoni, and it's followed by a well done finish on the pepperoni & red pepper.

Th46DCk.jpg

Zf4FDV4.jpg

This sausage and onion pizza with the square cut pieces is like they serve in taverns in St Louis.

LF6XrPR.jpg

This gives you an idea of how thin the crust is

b4HQUiI.jpg

And here is a pepperoni and sausage that's a hair lighter on the pepperoni.

qptHeKg.jpg

Last edited:
Be hard to hate on something like that... so I won't. Love the thin crust and minimal toppings these days. A much younger (and thinner) me would be calling for thick crust and tons of toppings...I was wrong about so much back then - but I could get into size 32's so I had that going for me.

good job

I know you have mentioned your Mrs., blind baking the crusts before. This sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the reminder and thanks for posting. I will give it a try!
Looks delicious!!

I know you have mentioned your Mrs., blind baking the crusts before. This sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the reminder and thanks for posting. I will give it a try!
Looks delicious!!

She actually will make a few extra to give to friends. They store just fine in the freezer in a zipper bag.

PslPbjD.jpg

Looking killer as usual. Love me some thin crust pizza.

Those be looking mighty fine! Could you share a bit on the crust recipe for a non baker? I’d really like a few in the freezer my dang self.

Those be looking mighty fine! Could you share a bit on the crust recipe for a non baker? I’d really like a few in the freezer my dang self.

Nice looking pies!! I'm with the person above, would love to have the dough recipe.

The crust is super easy. I made this short video last year showing the recipe and all the steps. You will have to hit the pause button when the text pages come up. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/ZsdilxehbQE

Yes sir! Can I get a large sausage, mushroom, onion & garlic?

These first pies I made are thin crust bar-style.

LF6XrPR.jpg

YAY! A properly cut tavern style pizza. :thumb:

Everyone thinks Chicagoans devour deep dish pizza every day. In reality we eat thin crust, deep dish is saved for when "out of towners" come in and say they want a Chicago pizza. :noidea:

Epic pizza cook, Wayne! All wonderful pies you prepped and cooked. I've been meaning to start working on a dough for a thin, cracker-style crust, vs the traditional American style pies I usually do.

Yes sir! Can I get a large sausage, mushroom, onion & garlic?

YAY! A properly cut tavern style pizza. :thumb:

Everyone thinks Chicagoans devour deep dish pizza every day. In reality we eat thin crust, deep dish is saved for when "out of towners" come in and say they want a Chicago pizza. :noidea:

A bartender told me that early on they would put out a couple of free pizzas, cut in squares for the after work crowd and it really improved their to-go business. In the '80's one place in my town cut pizzas into squares and it became so popular the Shakey's on the other side of town would do it when requested.

Back