"Live Fire-Grilled" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, Oct 18th!!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Live Fire-Grilled!"

7V6hzW8h.jpg

This was GammeRei's entry in the 2020 "Flame Grilled" Throwdown

As chosen by SMOKE FREAK for winning the "Food Truck Cookin' " Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

SMOKE FREAK said:
Let's do a "Live Fire Grilled" Throwdown: Cook whatever you like over hot coals of your choice - wood, lump, and/or briquettes. Your entry photo must show food being cooked over the hot coals, standard Throwdown rules apply.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 10/1 through Monday 10/18.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 10/18.

Click here to read the rules BEFORE entering this BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
I think this is a more of a photography challenge than usual. At least with my phone. Hot coals or fire shines and usually makes the meat come out very dark in the picture. It's time to get better at taking pictures!

I think this is a more of a photography challenge than usual. At least with my phone. Hot coals or fire shines and usually makes the meat come out very dark in the picture. It's time to get better at taking pictures!

A couple of possibilities - shooting when there's still daylight, even if there's not a lot, would open up more options for you. Also, if you have an outdoor light source you can position your cooker close to, the indirect light can get more illumination on your subject.

Here's a pic I took of some lamb chops pre-dusk:

Beef satay taken post sundown, but with indirect artificial lighting:

Do you remember if you used a phone or a camera?

Those pics were using a Nikon D3100 DSLR(it's a low budget DSLR) with stock low budget zoom lens. I've been using my 7 year old Iphone of late - not the best quality photos, but it does a decent job. Once we finally get unpacked fully over here, I can get some good indoor backgrounds set up etc, hopefully soon.

Back