MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #16
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Hickory is the one cooking wood I can identify by the aroma. Nothing smells better to me and it works great for pork and beef.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-25-2021, 07:53 AM   #17
mrpigs
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone.

I've used store bought hickory plenty of times on pork butts and ribs but never tried it with beef.

The hickory I have now grew near here and I got it in logs with no bark or leaves so I have no clue what type of hickory it is. It sure smelled good when I was cutting and splitting it though.

I have a pretty good idea that it is going to produce a stronger smoke than the store bought stuff so the plan is to mix some in with the oak and cherry and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #18
stangman327
Full Fledged Farker

I'm at a point that I could care less about what type of wood I use to smoke meat with.

At one time or another I've had apple, hickory, maple, oak and cherry on the pile and I'll just grab whatever and keep it moving.

Now when it comes wood chunks on the Hunsaker with chicken I tend to try to use apple chunks only since its a bit milder.

M1
Hunsaker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 propane smoker
Weber Genesis II LX S-340 Gas Grill w/iGrill probes
Lodge Cast iron sportsman's grill
Masterbuilt electric digital smoker
stangman327 is offline   Reply With Quote