• Flamin’ Hot Cheeto Encrusted Spicy Crunchy ABT’s

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The idea for this fiery food creation all started with this exchange between SirPorkaLot and myself in the “Spicy” Throwdown entry and discussion thread. The conversation begins at post #2:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286610

I liked John’s idea of using the “Death Chip” as a crust of sorts to add texture to another food item, though we learned the “Death Chip” might not be practical and would cause intestinal ruin to anyone who consumed it. Encrusting another food item intrigued me, and ABT’s came to mind. Maybe Cheetos? The texture of those crushed crunchy bits covering an ABT would certainly kick it up to another level. It was settled, then. Cheetos it would be.

I had originally planned to use Cheddar Jalapeño Cheetos, but all they had was Flamin’ Hot, so that’s what I grabbed. After I got home and opened the bag and popped a few in my mouth, it was clear the Flamin’ Hot were quite a bit different than the Cheddar Jalapeno Cheetos, as the heat doesn’t hit you right away with the Flamin’ Hot Cheetos. The heat snuck up on me, and kept building, reaching its peak after a minute or so.Time to get to work!

Flamin’ Hot Cheetos, bacon, and jalapeños ready for action:

Cheetos ready to roll:

The ensuing pile of spicy Cheeto dust:

Jalapeños stuffed with Colby Jack:

Wrapped in bacon:

The ABT’s given a light sprinkle of McCormack’s Sweet & Smoky Rub:

Now the dusting begins:

All the ABT’s have been dusted:

Weber Kettle fired up indirect, with some oak:

ABT’s on:

About 40 minutes later, right before I pulled them:

And plated, ready to eat:

So here’s the taste report:

I was surprised how good these tasted - the Cheeto “crust” held together nicely, so there was an audible crunch with each bite of the ABT, not something I’ve experienced before as I’ve only had smoked/grilled ABT’s, and not their deep fried “popper” cousins.

Then there was the heat – the heat from the jalapeño was the first thing to hit me, then shortly after, the Cheeto heat kicked in, so there were two kinds of heat happening at once that lingered for quite some time. I only wished I had made 3x as many of them! I'm going to try this again soon, but using regular crunchy Cheetos to see how I like them.

A special thanks to SirPorkaLot for the inspiration for these, and saving me from the perils of the "Death Chip"!

This is great!

I chuckle at the idea of the flaming cheetos as a breading of sorts, but it just works!

Great write-up. Curious to hear what you think of the version with "regular" cheetos.

That might be worth a try! I my have to see how my favorite bbq chip works!

I like the creativity of that! There is also an extra hot Cheeto out there, for the daring. This is going to be a fun TD.

Looks KILLER Richard!!!

Now YOU need a food truck!!!

This is great!

I chuckle at the idea of the flaming cheetos as a breading of sorts, but it just works!

Great write-up. Curious to hear what you think of the version with "regular" cheetos.

That might be worth a try! I my have to see how my favorite bbq chip works!

I will gladly pilfer that idea... thanks!

I like the creativity of that! There is also an extra hot Cheeto out there, for the daring. This is going to be a fun TD.

Thanks all! Honestly, if it hadn't been for my exchange with SirPorkaLot, this never would have happened. The idea of using a commonly available snack food engineered by sinister food scientists isn't my style at all, as it just seems kind of gimmicky.

I'm glad I gave it a try, and think I prefer them over regular ABT's!

Scoville Heaven

Last edited:
Love it! Well done Richard! :nod:

Well that’s just impressive!
I’m glad I was able to inspire such creativity, far better than what I usually inspire :tsk:

Thanks all! Honestly, if it hadn't been for my exchange with SirPorkaLot, this never would have happened. The idea of using a commonly available snack food engineered by sinister food scientists isn't my style at all, as it just seems kind of gimmicky.

I'm glad I gave it a try, and think I prefer them over regular ABT's!

I crusted some wings in crushed pork rinds and grilled em till done. Not bad at all...

I crusted some wings in crushed pork rinds and grilled em till done. Not bad at all...

Ok. Since were all fessing up here, I crush chili fritos and incorporate it with the cream cheese in my abt's. Heck, I even crust doritos and chili fritos and use it as breading on chicken. :biggrin1::biggrin1: Good stuff!!!

The only problem I see is I woulda killed all of them! Those look great!

Back