WSM incoming

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I’ve seen people using these for years, but I always kinda considered them beginner smokers or low quality. After reading here (and a few other BBQ forums), as well as watching a bunch of YouTube videos, I’ve decided that I was completely wrong about that.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Hunsaker drum, but I decided that the WSM with a vortex basket would fit better for me. And I want to get in a few practice cooks before Thanksgiving. The Hunsaker drum would probably get finished and make it to me before Thanksgiving, but possibly only a week or few days ahead. No time for me to learn the cooker before smoking a turkey.

I ordered the 22” WSM, a vortex basket, a rib hanger, and wheels for it. And my existing rotisserie and pizza oven will fit.

There you go. It’s a great smoker, can’t go wrong with it.

Congrats. They are great little units. I really enjoy cooking on mine.

Wouldn't hurt to have both .... you're going to need the extra room soon enough ...

I strongly considered ordering an 85 gallon Hunsaker. But then I remembered that I wanted something smaller than what I currently use and came to my senses. My other smoker is too big for what I usually cook, so it takes way too much fuel for regular use.

I love my WSM. I also have a stick burner, but I still cook on my WSM for about 50% of my cooks.

You are going to really like it and perfect timing for the fatty contest. They run rock solid and not too bad to master. I run without water but put the bottom of a clay flower pot in the water bowl and wrap with foil. Still keeps great temp, much hotter (if wanted) and uses less fuel. One last thing, I am guessing you have been to the tvwb but, if not great place for WSM

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

I love that setup. The one advantage to the WSM is it can be disassembled easily for cleaning/moving.

I have used the Hunsaker vortex plates and the vortex baskets (they both work well).

Which hanging rack did you go with?

I love that setup. The one advantage to the WSM is it can be disassembled easily for cleaning/moving.

I have used the Hunsaker vortex plates and the vortex baskets (they both work well).

Which hanging rack did you go with?

I went with Hunsaker’s versarack. I think I’ll like that setup more than the rib hanger, as long as I don’t need to cook 20 racks at a time.

You made a great choice. WSMs rock!

I went with Hunsaker’s versarack. I think I’ll like that setup more than the rib hanger, as long as I don’t need to cook 20 racks at a time.

That's a nice design. I still use the Gateway 55 Gallon hanger in my WSM, but the round one would be great if you were cooking for a crowd.

Weber first introduced the WSM in 1981.

That ........ is a long track record of successful barbecue.

I bought my 18" in 2002 and its still goin strong.

They are a great smokers.

At the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to upgrade my cheap offset smoker that I had been cooking on for over 20 years. But I wasn't sure if I wanted an upgraded offset, insulated vertical, or gravity fed. I enjoyed tending fire, but with the cheap offset, it was no longer fun. I quickly realized I would be ordering something from Texas to be built, and with that cost, I wanted to make sure I purchased the right smoker.

I decided to buy a WSM to see if I would be interested in something similar to an insulated vertical smoker. I never cooked BBQ on a "set it and forget it" type smoker. I also new that I would be able to easily sell it on craigslist. I had the same impression you did and was pleasantly surprised at what a great smoker the WSM is. I went with a 22" and no upgrades. Briskets, ribs, pulled pork, meatloaf, beef ribs, it cooks everything like a champ. I watched Harry Soo's setup video on YouTube and setup my charcoal the same way. I cook without water in the pan, and spritz once every 45 min so that I can feel like I'm doing something. Been cooking tasty Q all summer long. It's very easy to cook on and you won't regret it.

All that said, I realized I prefer a stick burner and put my money down on an LSG offset. While I can appreciate the set it and forget it style of cooking, I like tending to a fire too much. I was planning on selling the WSM, but I've been so impressed with it, I will likely hang on to it for when I need an unattended cook.

I had a similar setup witha Vortex basket in an 18" WSM w/hanger. I think the best chicken I ever made came out of that setup. Congrats!

Back