MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #31
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seefyre View Post
Many folks' smokers (pellet for example) dont produce smoke at high temperatures, so lower cooks are the rule for them.

As was stated earlier, pork butt has a wide window to have them come out great so they darn near come out great regardless. Trickier cuts like brisket and ribs aren't so easy at temps approaching 400.

This ... I found the done window on hot and fast ribs is very narrow.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #32
NoCoPk360
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Fred

As someone else mentioned I think it depends alot on the cooker you are using. i did a chuck roast yesterday and started out low and slow until the stall and then bumped it up after I wrapped it. I used my Weber Smokefire and the smoke ring and flavor were impressive. It was just as good as anything I've done on my WSM, kettle, or PK360. I think if I had started out at 275 from the beginning the smoke would have been lacking. On a big offset with a ton of airflow I wouldn't mess with low and slow at all.
NoCoPk360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #33
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label
Default I don't get low and slow....

I used to play golf with a guy about 10 years older than me.

I was in the ‘grab the biggest club and smack the heck out of it’ group. 60-70% I would be in the fairway but my slice took yards off. When I crushed it though...pitching wedge to the green. Rest of the time I was hacking out from behind some tree and taking another 2 shots.

Ole Jim would pull out his 3 Wood, take a nice easy swing and put it 215 in the center of the fairway. 97% of the time. Then he’d pull out his 7 iron. Lay it on the green. 97% of the time.

He called it old man golf. Told me. Doesn’t matter that you hit yours farther. My second shot may be farther away, but I always know what club to hit.

So. If you have a process that gets you consistent food hot/fast or low/slow. It’s the consistency that matters. Not the speed.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #34
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Before my stick burner, I did pork butt hot and fast on a WSM. No water in the pan, run the vents wide open. When the butt hit 160 IT, pulled it and finished in the oven.

The butt I'm doing now with the stick burner at 250 to 275 for 8 or 9 hours then finish in the oven, is much better than anything I've done on the WSM.

Just my personal experience.

And if I run my Brazos in the 300 range, I'm gonna get burned meat. It cooks much better at 250. The fire is just too close to the meat. And that's probably true on most small backyard offsets.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #35
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

You can do it hot and fast or low and slow.
Quality does change.
Do it the way you like it, I’ll stick with low and slow for pork for the best product

Old 10-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #36
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

I have pellet grills so I'm in the low and slow group. I don't sit and watch it though cuz I don't have to, it runs it's self. But I like running it for hours, it makes the neighborhood smell good and my neighbor appreciates it! Plus, like others have said I have an excuse to sit and drink beer all day. Win win!
Oh, and I like all bread, including white!
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #37
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33 View Post
Today I done a 9 lb pork butt at 375 degrees and it came out absolutely tender and super delicious. It took right around 4 hours to do a full cook. why do people waste their time staring at a cooker for 18 hours? Really think about that. Not to sound like a jerk but let's go over this one more time: why do people sit there and waste their time staring at a cooker for hours on end and getting average results? Even overnight Cooks using insulated cookers with temperature controllers fans and all that you might as well just get up early and do hot and fast and be able to monitor your Cooks versus hoping like hell something doesn't go wrong while your asleep. I also threw two baby back ribs on the cooker doing this hot and fast and was able to get awesome ribs in right over 2 hours. all this delicious food was cooked without swatting at flies and going through a case of beer just to get through the cook. To me, low and slow should be banned worldwide

#JustSayNoToLow&Slow
How old are you? Not being smart just guessing you must be younger.
I am not real old myself. Older generations take life a bit slower. They like to smell the roses.
I can understand what you are saying why waste time. We have an electric pressure cooker for during the week as we don't have time with all the time and care the kids need and work. Got to get everything from shopping to spending time together done over the weekend. No time for all day cooks.
I like both methods myself.
Sometimes you just want to slow down and take your time and relax. Drink a beer or drink a cup of coffee and just sit back and smell the smoke and just enjoy the process.
If I can get the time to cook low and slow then I do. Sometimes its nice to just kick back and relax and just slow down and actually take the time to enjoy the outdoors.
Hot and Fast though gets me more time to spend with the wife and kids. It gets the food on the table faster. I get to cram a lot of stuff in and be more productive.
Low and Slow is for slowing down and enjoying life. Hot and Fast is for getting the job done quickly and being more productive.
I like to use low and slow and I like hot and fast.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #38
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
A matter of preference.
I'm in the low and slow, no foil, sauce on the side group.
I'm with her ^
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #39
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label
Default I don't get low and slow....

Ok. Am I going to be the ONLY one to mention how ironic it is that a guy with the name

mph33

Doesn’t like going low and slow? Shouldn’t his name be

cantdrive55

??
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #40
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

His name should be troll. Every thread he starts is like this. Or he contradicts himself between threads. This site needs a downvote button next to the "Thanks."

Old 10-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #41
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Low and Slow is for slowing down and enjoying life. Hot and Fast is for getting the job done quickly and being more productive.
Life has enough stresses. BBQ is where I go to escape that. Why would I want to rush that?

Old 10-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #42
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
His name should be troll. Every thread he starts is like this. Or he contradicts himself between threads. This site needs a downvote button next to the "Thanks."
Mod Note:Instead of a down vote, how about just moving on and not starting a chit storm?

It’s his opinion. If you disagree, that’s fine, but no need to stir the pot and stoop to name calling.

And, read this...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=285559

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #43
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Each to their own, I guess. Different strokes for different Folks. Whatever makes your boat float. etc. etc. etc.

As long as you turn out good results consistently, it doesn’t matter how you get there. As I’ve learned, a good cook (“Pitmaster”) can make delicious food on just about anything - heck, they could probably cook on a 55 gallon drum or similar if they do a bit of work on it. Or even just throw it on some coals.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #44
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

So...

To get this back on topic

For me it depends on the cooker and my goal. My Hunsaker drums put out great food at 300 degrees, and I used them at competitions since it allows me to get some sleep, and my main goal is the best food for the judges.

In my FEC-100 or Southern Q they do better at about 240 so if I am using one of them I’ll cook slower. I if my goal is to relax and enjoy the day, lower and slower fits the bill.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #45
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

There are people that buy an $80,000 Ford Raptor to drive around town, I don’t get that but it ain’t my business...

#seewhatimsayin

I’ve decided I like 275° does that make me a low and slower or a hot and faster...

Signed,

Confused in Tulsa

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote