Lava Rock

Welshman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any gas quer’s using lava rock on their grills......

My experience with gassers - a long time ago- both flavorizer and lava rock are prone to flare up. The flavorizer bars if cleaned after/before each use will mostly prevent the flare up, the lava rock will take many cooks before absorbing enough grease to flare, but when they do it lasts a while. Short of soaking in some kind of degreaser lava rock will flare, at least I never found a way to prevent it. ymmv

I was always cautioned about Lava Rock (or similar) as they are quite porous and prone to moisture absorption. I live in the midwest, and humidity is quite the thing...
I don't know if they are true stories or not, but always seem to know someone who knows someone who had Lava Rock in their grill that had gotten damp and exploded as the moisture turned to steam... take it how you want to, the stories exist, no idea if they are true or not, but I never wanted to chance it.

I got mine from grill chef......been using them all summer so far with no issues and they do retain the heat a lot better. Not had any flair ups, but then I’ve also been using grill matts so they don’t get wet or greasy either. Maybe cause it’s less humid in the UK

I didn't like mine. I do like my Grillgrates although they are tough to clean.

I'm going to opt out of the lava rock . I pulled out twenty pounds of lava rock on a used gasser and it was soaked in grease. Not something I want to clean every few years.
d2fdf27aec3bb57d2eb4be488468e361.jpg

Back