Chisholm Trail Roundup Results & Pics

A

ApronGuy

Participated in the Lockhart Chisholm Trail Roundup BBQ Cookoff this weekend. It was our second only event, and this was a tough one.

We got to the finals table in ribs, which means top 20 out of 66 teams. But we didn't place in brisket. It was an IBCA event (and poorly run at that), so there was no way to know where, exactly, our ribs or brisket placed.

It was funny to talk to people out there. No one seemed to know what fatty was or what burnt ends were. Strange.

Here's a pic of our turn in box for ribs:

rib_turnin.jpg

mia_ribs.jpg

fat_tongues.jpg

The ribs look great but shouldn't there be more than 5 in the box?

The ribs look great but shouldn't there be more than 5 in the box?

Yes, you're absolutely right. I took a pic with all nine ribs inside, but it was blurry. This one was before the second level was placed on.

Adam I know what you mean with the IBCA events I was in Columbus this past weekend was not a happy camper at this one.
After a year of competing steady in both IBCA & TGCBA, and based one my one event in a KCBS I'm know trying to get a couple of people to help me do more KCBS events I would like to do Pinebluff & Texarkana this year?

I like the fact that you know right were you stand at the end of the event and can see were you went wrong.

For those of you that don't know in Texas they pull judges from either local town or from team members with little to no instructions about judging except it should look and taste like BBQ? and the are only allowed to use a fork and knife (plastic) not allowed to pick up a piece

your ribs looked good :shock:

Everyone we talked to said the competition was pretty much a toss up. You could enter one competition and take the gold, then go 5 miles down the road to another competition and not place at all.

Most of the judges were locals or from competitor's teams. So it seemed like you have to know what the locals like in the way of bbq to place high.

Back