Which PG to buy, which cooker has to go?

Gimmethecash

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I thought you farkers might enjoy another one of these threads, plus I expect I’ll see some good advice if history is any indication.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be investing in a PG pretty soon and I could use a little advice on which to buy. I’m looking for convenience and quality/reliability; I’d like to stay under $2K USD, but (yes you MAK lovers) I could be swayed to spend more for quality. I don’t need it as a grill, I’ve got enough grills.

My wife has decreed that for a new cooker to come, another must go (she learned that from me, as I always tell her something has to go to make room for any new stuff she buys, so it’s fair).

I’m in the market for a PG to use for small jobs like smoking steaks and burgers, but also for when I don’t have time to feed the stick burner (which is not under consideration for replacement) for ribs/butts/brisket/etc, especially for long cooks. Mostly it’s me and my wife, sometimes plus 5-10 friends (rarely more), and two offspring in their 20’s when they’re around.

Here are the candidates for replacement, in no apparent order:

* Cookshack Amerique electric smoker - currently used for finishing roasts/brisket/butts, makes great jerky
* Otto Wilde Over Fired Broiler - searing machine, gets limited use
* Weber Genesis gasser - workhorse that’s hard to put on this list, quick & easy, great for searing/griddling/quick burgers/thin chops/light grilling/big groups

My stick burner and M16 charcoal grill will stay (cold, dead hands, blah blah).

Based on your need/budget... no ifs, ands or buts... I recommend the MAK 1 Star. Solid solid American made cooker. Fantastic smoke output. Aluminized steel under high quality powder coating... means even down the road w/ a few chips/scratches you’ll never have to deal with rust. Comes with the Pellet Boss controller which is highly programmable and is the only controller to accept industrial grade k-style probes (robust and accurate). Plus buying a MAK brings you into the MAK family which is a great place to belong. I could go on and on...

No, I do not work for MAK... lol. Just a highly satisfied and happy MAK family member.

I say give it a few weeks and see the real world reviews on the Weber SmokeFire.

IF it works as it is said to, I would get rid of everything but the stick burner and M16...

amen

Seriously considering MAK (1 or splurge for 2 star) and yeah I’m also interested in the Smokefire, but it’s a first-year product currently, which makes me a bit leery.

Also on my short list is Cookshack’s PG500 and (though I’d need a reason to seriously up my budget) the FEC100.

The FEC-100 is a smoking beast! If you don’t care about grilling then look for a good used one in your price range.

If you also want to grill, MAK, Memphis, Rectec and the new Weber are all solid choices.

Own a MAK 1 Star, splurged on the Flame Zone because it's like super charging the grill, heats up quicker and more fuel efficient. 18 months in, close to a ton of pellets burned and it's most likely the first and last PG I'll ever need to buy, well unless I want a smaller unit for Camping and tailgating (Mini MAK). Very happy with how it cooks, the smoke profile it produces, was more than I wanted to spend but I'm only going to cry once on this one.

Last edited:
Back