MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
68pointbuck
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : DB
Default Shag Bark Hickory vs Smooth Bark Hickory

I'm relatively new the stick burner game... and I have the drop on a load of Shag Bark hickory through a local co auction. It will be significantly cheaper than the nearest wood yard I have found that sells hickory.

Is shag bark hickory similar to the smooth variety as far as flavor? Does the bark need to be removed? Teach me the ways!
68pointbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
Kmm
On the road to being a farker

Regardless of whether it is common shag or smooth bark (commonly known around here as shell bark). Hickory Is a great straight grained wood that is easy to cut, split and stack. When properly cured, it is excellent to cook with. However, be sure the splits are fully cured before trying to smoke with it, green hickory can impart a bitter flavor.
Kmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Had a Brethren not long ago claim that "wood was wood"- exception being Mesquite. Pretty sure you are good.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah, I can't taste any difference between the different species of hickory.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

smooth bark and shag bark hickory i can not tell the difference and i never remove the bark and that is all that i buy .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2019, 04:39 AM   #6
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I use the shag bark for quick grilling, it don't take much and gives a great flavor, and I mean just the bark ,the wood will cook the same , add the bark when the meat is on the grill, too much will get your taste buds tingling lol. I go squirrel hunting and If I pass a tree I peel some off.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
68pointbuck
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : DB

Thanks!!! Looks like I'll be heading to the auction Sat morning! $145 for a 1/2 is better that $225 at the wood yard I had price in KC!
68pointbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
Denco
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Larry

That 'ol scaly bark will work just fine. Good price!
Denco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
breavis
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : breavis

Hickory is hickory as far as I'm concerned. Oak is a different story-we don't like red oak much in NC
breavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #10
Big Andy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
I use the shag bark for quick grilling, it don't take much and gives a great flavor, and I mean just the bark ,the wood will cook the same , add the bark when the meat is on the grill, too much will get your taste buds tingling lol. I go squirrel hunting and If I pass a tree I peel some off.
My step-father told me when he was growing up, all they used to cook their hogs was bark. The kids were sent off into the woods to gather lots of hickory bark and it was added to the fire.
Big Andy is offline   Reply With Quote