Pellet Flame-Out with Brisket On

jerryalan

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Jerry
So I put on a brisket last night and wrapped it up before I went to bed but I forgot to refill the pellet hopper. This morning I woke up and saw the brisket had dropped to about 140-145 internal because I ran out of pellets (dummy me didn't set the MIN/MAX alarm on the grate probe because I got complacent with my pellet smoker). The brisket is now in my oven at 250 cooking but is it safe to eat? I assume if I bring it up to around 203 I will have killed anything off that might have started but wanted to check with you folks and see what you think.

Yes. Bacteria will die in the 140s/150s given enough time. 160F for food safety is not a hard rule, it's just the point at which most microbes die in less than a minute.

You're also finishing it which will fully sterilize it if it is not sterile already.

You're also finishing it which will fully sterilize it if it is not sterile already.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too but I'm never 100% sure. I got e-coli when I was a kid from under-cooked school lunch burgers so I've always been a little edgy with stuff like this.

Now to see if it's going to be amazingly textured brisket, or chili meat :)

Back