• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dry brine question

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to grill some drumsticks tomorrow. I was thinking of putting the drumsticks on a rack and putting some salt on them tonight to help with crispy skin tomorrow. How far in advance of cooking does everyone recommend? Before I grill, do I need to rinse or anything? All comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

I dry brine the night before I plan to use them, at a minimum. Often times it winds up being more like 2 or 3 days before I end up cooking them. I use kosher salt and fine ground black pepper in my dry brine. Its my favorite seasoning for chicken. I dont rinse anything off, but I dont go completely overboard with salt. I would say 2 or 3 tablespoons would do 3 or 4 lbs of chicken easily.

I do a combination salt dry brine on chicken wings..... Salt and baking powder for at least 24 hours uncovered on a rack in the fridge. Then cooked at 400°-450° for 20 to 30 minutes indirect on my BGE until done or you can do them in the oven. They sort of look like fried chicken. If you omit the baking powder the skin is naturally crispy, but the faux batter is pretty good.

fJ0VWZG.jpg

Back