Birthday Barbecue Brisket

redchaserron

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Yesterday was my mom's 88th birthday so I smoked a brisket for her and my sisters. Our local Albertsons has choice brisket on sale for 2.49 right now, when I went to get the brisket they also were advertising that they had Hatch Chili's and had a big bin full. Having never tried Hatch chilis and having heard so much about them I grabbed some.

I got up at 3 am and lit the pit, had the meat on by 4:20. The brisket was 12.5 pounds before trimming. The fire box on my smoker is shot, bottom almost completely gone, so I had to jam a foil pan under the grate just to hold the coals that fell through the grate. This is probably my last cook on the pit.

Because of the issues with the pit, temperature control is tough, the brisket cooked way faster than I expected and was done in about or just under 9 hours (it usually takes about 11 hours for a brisket this size on my pit), I was worried that it wouldn't be good, but I placed it still wrapped in an ice chest and rested.

While the brisket cooked I split the hatch chilis, stuffed with cream cheese and smoked sausage and wrapped in bacon. I also made a fatty with jalapenos and cheddar. To my surprise the brisket was awesome, tender, moist and with a very deep smoke flavor. Honestly it's probably the best brisket I ever cooked. The Hatch peppers were outstanding, I love the flavor, and as always the fatty was a hit too. Mom and my sibs all enjoyed it a bunch. All was cooked on water oak that's been aging in my little greenhouse. Now I'm shopping for a new pit.

Attachments

• IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3314.jpg
    IMG_3314.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3310.jpg
    IMG_3310.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3316.jpg
    IMG_3316.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_3315.jpg
    IMG_3315.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 268
All of it looks MIGHTY TASTY from here!!! Nice work from a run down pit! :thumb:

A long rest seems to do a brisket a favor provided it rests and stops cooking for placing in cooler/cambro.

That's the only true way for a pit to go out, right after finishing one last cook session. That's how my New Braunfels died years back. Looks like some solid grub!

Nice cook. I know everyone ate good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It all looks great!
Belated Happy Birthday to your mom!

So after my weekend struggle with the burned out firebox, I got online and started searching local classifieds and as luck would have it found a pit that is EXACTLY what I was hoping to upgrade to for a reasonable amount of money, and far less than I would ever expect to get this much pit for. I went look at it, agreed on a price and shook on the deal, I'm going to pick it up sometime within the next week or two when I can get a trailer lined up at a time that works with the sellers schedule. Once I get it I'll make a 'restoration and upgrade" thread.

Back