Smoked Catfish Crostini

Mason Dixon Bowhunta

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'd been thinking about the appetizer throwdown for some time and not coming up with any ideas when I decided to take the kayak out for some fishing. Five catfish later, after a relaxing few hours on the water, I had my entry.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274391

Here's the starting point - five ugly channel cats!

picture.php

And here's the post-filleting picture.

picture.php

I brined them overnight in a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar, and molasses. Here they are, on cedar planks, getting ready for my UDS.

picture.php

I smoked them with applewood for about an hour and a half and let them rest while I got everything else ready.

picture.php

The construction of the crostini started with grilled baguette slices, lightly seasoned with olive oil. I topped the grilled baguette slices with a spread of cream cheese, Greek yogurt, horseradish, and fresh dill, then laid some of the smoked fish on top. I finished the crostini with a dollop of jalapeno-peach jam (made from peaches from one of my brother's trees). Here's the cast of characters before construction.

picture.php

Some fresh dill and lemon slices made nice garnishes to the final appetizers.

picture.php

I tried to limit myself to just a few crostini, but found that nearly impossible. The smokiness of the brined and cedar-planked fish was really enhanced by the creaminess of the horseradish spread. And the jalapeno-peach jam added a perfect hint of sweetness with a sassy bite. (I'll just do an extra workout or two at the gym this week!)

Thanks for reading!

Looks and sounds amazing! I love smoked catfish and have some stashed in the freezer from a recent camp trip. Hoping mine smoke up as nicely as yours.
Thanks for the post!

OUTSTANDING!!!:clap: I am sooo gonna steal this one.I do Blackened catfish tacos very often because of the requests for them.That appetizer is spot on.

Looks really good!

Channel cats are ugly as *&$% but they eat just fine. Same for gar, believe it or not (longnose/spotted that is...I've never tried gator gar). A pain in the behind to filet, but they grill up really well. Little bit of lemon pepper and Tony Chachere's on those suckers and you're in flavor town.

What's your favorite catfish bait? Not gonna even pretend to be fancy...mine is hot dog pieces, specifically, the cheapest hot dogs the store sells (Bar-S brand I think). I keep a pack in the deep freeze at all times and whenever I want to go down to the creek I'll thaw out one or two and dice it up. :biggrin1:

I love catfish and eat it often....but never in such a high-falutin' way! That looks delicious. Made me hungry for some catfish for sure.

What's your favorite catfish bait? Not gonna even pretend to be fancy...mine is hot dog pieces, specifically, the cheapest hot dogs the store sells (Bar-S brand I think). I keep a pack in the deep freeze at all times and whenever I want to go down to the creek I'll thaw out one or two and dice it up. :biggrin1:

Funny, I've never heard of using hot dogs. I need to try them next time.

Usually I use night crawlers but the small white perch are thick in this spot so they tend to tear the worms up as soon as they hit the water. We used chicken livers this time and they worked really well.

Funny, I've never heard of using hot dogs. I need to try them next time.

Usually I use night crawlers but the small white perch are thick in this spot so they tend to tear the worms up as soon as they hit the water. We used chicken livers this time and they worked really well.

Ya know...that just brought back a really good memory. I've never used chicken livers as bait before or since this, but about 25 years ago I spent a summer in West Virginia with my grandparents. My grandfather took a contract job there and they got a little apartment in a town sorta near Charleston. Beautiful country, as a matter of fact it still ranks as some of the prettiest scenery I've ever seen in person. I remember green mountains everywhere, rivers, and clear creeks/streams. They used to drive me to this little park that had a stocked pond...seems like we would go there almost every afternoon and would stay until sundown. I would use chicken livers to catch and release perch after perch while they patiently watched. We would head back home as the sun was setting and i'd be covered in chicken liver juice and fish slime, haha. Damn, I miss my grandfather. Wish I could tell him how much I enjoyed all of those fishing trips as a kid. Never been back to WV since then...but I have it on my bucket list to go back there, find that little pond, and catch just one more perch in memory of the old man.

Sorry to veer off-subject. I just read "chicken livers" and it triggered those memories. :grin:

Back