Opportunity to Buy a Lang 60D

Libertarian

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi guys...long time, no post. I'm currently running a Kamado Joe and a Pitmaker Safe. I've been wanting a stick burner for a while now and have an opportunity to buy a Lang 60D (on trailer, no char-grill) for $2,900 delivered to my front door. The smoker was bought last year and has been used fewer than ten times. Looks to be in excellent condition. I've been holding out for a Shirley, LSG or maybe a Moberg when they start doing their backyard model again but this deal seems to be too good to turn down.

Thoughts on that price and whether or not I should pull the trigger? I figure I could turn around and sell it again for roughly the same price.

Thank in advance!

IMnotalwaysHO

Don't hold out on the others. A lang isnt a shirley, but it is a great cooker. I would buy one of those if I could. IF it is in good shape, you should get many years out of it before you need an upgrade to one of the others.

That price is only a little more than half of what the site shows new. If you can afford it and you have room for it, JUMP!

Life can be pretty farkn short. If you want something, and it doesn’t break your wedding vows or The Big Ten, quit typing and grab some Benjamins and get your cooker

The 60D shows it sells for $4,795 not including shipping charges.
If it is in the condition you noted, I say its a fair price.

I always say the Lang 60 is a perfect size. Not to big for a family cook but at the same
time big enough to cook for group. I love my 60 and it gets more use then my 84DLX.

I believe the warmer box is too small to hold full size hotel pans. Not 100% sure on this but you may want to check if it is important to you.

Good luck with your decision.

Good price if as advertised. Look at it this way. How will you feel in 6 months if you pass on that Lang? If there would be no regret, it's a toss up. But 50% discount on a 1 year old, used 10 times Lang would be hard not to regret passing on for most people in your position.

And Pat, I wish I had somewhere to put your Shirley. I've been lusting after it since you relisted it the first time. I can't believe no one has snapped that up yet! I mean, it's a Shirley at a great price with no wait!!!!

That's a good price but why don't you just bite the bullet and buy my Shirley!:becky:

I'll bring it to you.

OP, leave that Lang in the rear view and go get Pat's Shirley. He's offering it at a once in a life time price and the two manufacturer's don't begin to share the same level of quality.

I use Langs in my business soley because they are relatively cheap and easy to part company with every two years.

I replace them every two years because at that point with heavy use the reverse flow plates develop issues and I have to drag a welder out far more than I care to.

If you come over and look in the garage my personal pit is a Shirley Fab, there is no finer pit made at any price and the workmanship puts Lang to shame.

Let me add one more thing that has not been brought up in this thread. Pat's Shirley is a great deal on a excellent smoker, but to sweeten the deal, Paul Shirley himself has offered to sandblast and repaint Pat's Smoker if the new owner will just bring it to his shop in Alabama. Pat is a veteran and Paul and his team are strong supporters of that community! See Pat's add in the for sale area. Paul Shirley's offer is posted there.

Great price on a Shirley Fab, and free sand blasting and repainting by Mr Shirley! This is truly a once in a lifetime deal on a Shirley!!!

I just wish I had somewhere to put Pat's Shirley, but I don't.

Pat's Shirley is a great deal but hard to justify the additional cost based on my needs and usage. And while Mr. Shirley's offer is very generous, I am not going to be driving that thing to Tuscaloosa, Alabama unfortunately. Appreciate all the input guys!

@ Libertarian,

Since you're in Mt. Pleasant have you looked at Gorilla Fabrications? Great group of guys (and gals) who make some really good smokers.

Disclaimer : They really did a poor job on my food trailer, but the cooker they built me is amazing.

The cooker is a "hog style" smoker with a front-offset firebox, two large racks measuring 4' x 3'. The bottom shelf allows for a massive hog somewhere in the 175-200Lb range, and the top rack (due to clearance) can do about a 125 Lb hog. I've loaded it up with 2 cases of pork butts and 2 cases of briskets and shockingly everything cooks pretty evenly (left to right). Top rack is about 15-20° hotter than the bottom rack, but that's pretty common among all smokers. It also has 2 very strong propane burners (one on the left, one on the right) which allow for cooking with just propane, or propane assist if desired. Usually I'll cook with wood for 4-5 hours and then I'll wrap everything and put on the propane to finish cooking. Once I get things dialed in with the propane I can sleep pretty well knowing the temps won't move very much (usually not more than a few degrees fluctuation).

Just throwing it out there because it is a good cooker for a pretty decent price. The metal is thin but so far I haven't had an issue with keeping solid temps. We had one of the coldest winters on record here in eastern NC last year and I was still smoking every single day and I never worried about temps.

This is the same model of the cooker I have, but the exhaust stacks have rotating dampers on my model.

N5UB2Nb.jpg

Overall just throwing this out there as an additional option since these guys are directly in your back yard. Way more actual cooking area than a Lang 60 and, if you ever desired, you can EASILY do multiple hogs / lambs / etc.. on it.

Here's a ~90Lb pig I did last year...it was only my 2nd pig and the appearance kind of sucked, but the food came out really good.

AQV0fbu.jpg

The cost for just the smoker was $1900 I think, so putting it on a trailer would be right at about the same price point as the Lang.

Thanks for all the input guys. I was able to get the price to $2,750 delivered which I think is frankly below market for a Lang 60D cooked on 5-6 times. Delivered to my front door no less. I pulled the trigger. If I ever want to upgrade to a Shirley or look at other pits I shouldn't have any issues selling this one. I'm excited to own my first stick burner.

I may consider selling my Pitmaker Safe - which has been a great cooker - to make room.

Congratulations on your new smoker and post some pictures!

Congratulations on the Lang 60D. Hell of a deal also. Now get that thing "dirty" and show off some great cooking!

It's a good smoker and you got a "smoking", deal!!

Congratulations and welcome to the stick burning family.

Back