• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

It’s done when it’s done...

Blowin' Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Today has been a lesson in patience for me. I started at 6:30 this morning getting my OC Smokehouse going. I lit my coals and brought my brisket inside to prep. I did a pretty aggressive trim, rubbed down with Worcestershire, and my brisket rub (coarse salt, black pepper, and garlic powder).

When the coals were ready, I dumped them and threw on a couple pecan splits. When the temp was riding at 275, I added the brisket on a rack to make transfer easier. I had water in the water pan and had an aluminum pan under the brisket to make cleanup easier. Temps have fluctuated between 250-320 for the day, and I was spritzing about every hour with 50/50 AJ/ACV. Tropical storm Barry has made it a tough day to maintain temps.

Anyway, I’m almost 10 hours in and the flat still isn’t probe tender. Last check was 197 and still not sliding in like butter.

Afterthoughts: my spritz was kept in the fridge, so that probably prolonged the cook, as did having the aluminum pan directly underneath.

Pic from last check, and I’m enjoying some crown while I wait.
d6f6d566e8cec157d3cad115deff62ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sure looks good... Lookin' forward to the sliced photos.

I'd have another finger or two of Crown while you wait. Seems to make the wait go faster, or maybe I just don't notice... :roll:

Done right at 12 hours. Now into a pan for a couple hour rest.

Will continue to sample the crown. I tried to get a pic of the bride picking bits off the rack and eating them. She’s too quick though. Like a gazelle.

6ef9fb4b573cc91c37e8934a6480aaf5.jpg

I will have a few Woodford Reserves while it rests. Thank you.In my humble opinion,the rest is the key.

Here is the sliced brisket. 12 hour cook with a 2 hour rest. Sliced the point into two sections. The pieces we tasted were delicious, easily the best one I’ve cooked.

Next time I will leave a little more cap on, as the bottom 1/4” of the end of the flat is burnt. It will serve as chopped brisket and still has great flavor, but good learning experience.

Take away: I need to do brisket more often. I was beating my wife and sister in law away with a stick. Can’t wait to eat tomorrow!

Thanks for tuning in!
fe8f6b29375374238f75bc6333e6a4b6.jpg

Thanks! Texas style, as that’s where I’m from, and that’s who I’m cooking it for.

Hoping everyone enjoys it tomorrow!

Like you say, done when done.
I believe that running out of patience is the biggest reason for mediocre brisket. Too many cooks have a time frame in mind, that is just not realistic. They pull the meat at their preconceived time frame, everybody is ready to eat and then they have no, or too little of a rest.
To eliminate the crunchy bottom, put a piece of foil under the brisket.
Very good cook, thanks for sharing!

I think your method was spot-on, and your finished product is wonderful. My only observation is that spritzing every hour slowed you down a lot.

Looks great - although did you slice with the intention of not eating until the next day?

Yeah, I’ve never done it like this to transport the following day. It’s all an experiment. I knew it may make the slices a bit more dry, but I was hoping it would help with the reheating process.

Anything too dry will be chopped up with bbq sauce, hopefully no one is too picky.

I think your method was spot-on, and your finished product is wonderful. My only observation is that spritzing every hour slowed you down a lot.

I agree. In hindsight, I should have used room temp spritz, but I was concerned about setting it out due to the apple juice that was already refrigerated.

Back