Tri tip catergory in a competition?

jtfisher63

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi guys, this will probably be directed to the California guys because I haven't heard of tri tip as a category anywhere but California. I am competing in a comp coming up with tri tip as one of the categories. I have cooked plenty of tri tip in my day, but I have no idea of what judges look for in competition tri tip. Normally I just rub it and grill it hot and fast. Do they judges expect it to be smoked? I have smoked them in the past, but I tend to like them grilled better. Also, what about presentation? I normally just slice it like I would brisket, across the grain. Is the norm? Any help would be appriciated here guys. Pics would be awesome!

Thanks,
Jason

You could smoke for a bit and then grill it off to finish. Did Tri-Tip last year at a small comp in the Middle of Iowa. Good thing I went to my uncles in San Diego the year before and learned how to cook'em.
Got 3rd on it so I guess it wasn't too bad.
As you can tell, the tri tips they sell here in Iowa are small and pricy.
TriTip.jpg

Wow, that looks great. So how did you end up doing?

Jason

3rd in the Tri Tip and 7th in ribs. It was just a 2 meat unsacationed contest. Can't remember what the overall was. I want to say 7th but would need to look it up to be sure.

Jason
Most Judges wont know what they are looking for :)
Its a new Category
Just remember they all seem to have a sweet tooth

I don't know a thing about comp, but the most common mop for Tri tip around here is terriaki with crushed pineapple and onion. Kind of a slaty sweet.

Back