• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Water or bullet smoker no water?

chargrill2369

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey. Got a bullet smoker a while ago made some mods to it to make it work great. Tried it out today and it was excellent. I am use to using a uds. Never had a need for a water pan in that. Is always necessary to use the water pan in the bullet smoker?

I never have used water in mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I started out with a $20 Brinkman bullet 18 years ago. I used to use water in it. Not sure I noticed a difference? Stopped using water in it about 13 years ago. However, I would say that you need to cook a rack of ribs with water, and a rack without and decide what you like better. You might like it better without if no water is what you are used to?
For me, since it uses more charcoal to keep the temperature going when you use water, I would say no water.

Owned a WSM for a couple of years, always ran it dry.

I started out using water in my WSM, then after a couple years I put sand in the water bowl. No difference in the meat.

I am of the opinion water is for clean up and to drink when you are sweatin hard.
Not for steaming my BBQ.
I think the meat brings enough water into the magic. Especially when certain cuts come with "brine" injections.
Paying per pound for brine kinda chaps my butt.

No water...
I cover the pan with foil to catch drippings and make for easy clean up. The pan is used as a heat deflector...
Some I know use sand or balls of crumpled foil to act as a heat sink nut they still cover the pan to catch the fat...

I always use a full water pan. As everybody else has said, do what you feel like doing.

Water guy here. Can't really say it is better, but I like the consistent results. Have tried it without, but sometimes the temps are all over the place.

Back