"I Like Big Butts!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) Ends May 20th!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"I Like Big Butts!"

Pork%20Butts%20Smoking_zps7ohkysic.jpg

As chosen by Der Husker for winning the "BBQ Burrito" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

DerHusker said:
For the next Throwdown how about the:

"I Like Big Butts!" :becky: Throwdown. (Anything that starts out with a Pork Butt)

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/3 through Monday 5/20.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 5/20.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
and I can not lie. :twitch: :-D

Might have to get involved in this TD.

Just so happens I have some Jamaicans over next weekend, Nellie's family

Dang, I've cooked 3 butts in the last 3 weeks. Butt, below is a live shot from the BeerFridgeCam.... I just put this BIG butt in to slow thaw.

"I Like Big Butts!" Throwdown. (Anything that starts out with a Pork Butt)

Butt, before I get the 'ol thikin' cap on, I need an interpretation please. (Moose, I know you saw this comin', butt I've been wrong before :crazy:) Butt, this question is coming from a dude that recently made a TD Burrito with burnt ends, and a TD ribeye which was skewered. Okay here goes:

Lets say :rolleyes: I start out with a pork butt, remove only the bone and use just the bone to make soup. Is that a legal entry?

ULDShJR.jpg

Dang, I've cooked 3 butts in the last 3 weeks. Butt, below is a live shot from the BeerFridgeCam.... I just put this butt in to slow thaw.

Butt, before I get the 'ol thikin' cap on, I need an interpretation please. (Moose, I know you saw this comin', butt I've been wrong before :crazy:) Butt, this question is coming from a dude that recently made a TD Burrito with burnt ends, and a TD ribeye which was skewered. Okay here goes:

Lets say :rolleyes: I start out with a pork butt, remove only the bone and use it to make soup. Is that a legal entry?

ULDShJR.jpg

You sure like pushing the envelope, don't you? :mrgreen:

But to answer your question, yes. As long as there is pork butt that was either grilled or smoked per standard TD rules, you're good to go. :thumb:

You sure like pushing the envelope, don't you? :mrgreen:

But to answer your question, yes. As long as there is pork butt that was either grilled or smoked per standard TD rules, you're good to go. :thumb:

Lets say I start out with a pork butt, remove only the bone and use just the bone to make soup. Is that a legal entry?

I think you answered as I was editing my question. And I think you might see where I'm going with this.... So, not to be a pain in the butt... here goes the follow-up. If I start with a big butt, remove the bone, discard most of the meat, flavor smoke the bone, then make soup with the bone... is this legal? Or do I have to cook the big butt whole, then do whatever I want with the meat or bone?

I think you answered as I was editing my question. And I think you might see where I'm going with this.... So, not to be a pain in the butt... here goes the follow-up. If I start with a big butt, remove the bone, discard most of the meat, flavor smoke the bone, then make soup with the bone... is this legal? Or do I have to cook the big butt whole, then do whatever I want with the meat or bone?

I don't think the former scenario you describe would work for this TD as Der Husker detailed in the Category Description. If you used all of the meat, that would be another thing and would be fine, I think.

You are on track with the latter scenario you outlined, though you don't have to cook a whole pork butt, either.

DerHusker, since you chose this throwdown category, do you have anything to add to this?

I don't think the former scenario you describe would work for this TD as Der Husker detailed in the Category Description. If you used all of the meat, that would be another thing and would be fine, I think.

You are on track with the latter scenario you outlined, though you don't have to cook a whole pork butt, either.

DerHusker, since you chose this throwdown category, do you have anything to add to this?
Not wanting to make it difficult on you but using just the bone doesn't sound like starting out as a pork butt.

That would be more like the "I've got a bone to pick!" or "Throw me a Bone!" Throwdown. Sorry about that.

All the same, I'd love to see the soup you'd make with the bone.

Not wanting to make it difficult on you but using just the bone doesn't sound like starting out as a pork butt.

That would be more like the "I've got a bone to pick!" or "Throw me a Bone!" Throwdown. Sorry about that.

All the same, I'd love to see the soup you'd make with the bone.

Thanks guys..... I'm probably thinking outside the box, which I do often. Sorry butt, creating a bone scenario was a mis-direction, because I didn't want to give away my hole card so to speak. Butt, for the most part I think by now I'm already semi-busted with my game-plan. :mrgreen: So, I'm going to start with that BIG butt in my beer fridge and move forward, full speed ahead, and hopefully put a legal twist on this TD. :-D

Thanks guys..... I'm probably thinking outside the box, which I do often. Sorry butt, creating a bone scenario was a mis-direction, because I didn't want to give away my hole card so to speak. Butt, for the most part I think by now I'm already semi-busted with my game-plan. :mrgreen: So, I'm going to start with that BIG butt in my beer fridge and move forward, full speed ahead, and hopefully put a legal twist on this TD. :-D

:pop2:

What counts as a kettle?

hqdefault.jpg

Does a Kamado count as a kettle?

You know, I haven't done one of these in a LONG time. My Lang is long gone and I have Bubba Grills custom making a RF smoker for me. Hopefully it'll get here in time. Looks like a good maiden voyage cook to have some fun with. I'll try.

Back