First tri tip...ever!

Prodrvr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Never had one, heard a lot about them, so I bought one from Porter Road farms. 2.25lbs. Couple of hours in hickory smoke then seared over lump.

Attachments

• 20190418_150656.jpg
    20190418_150656.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 20190418_150832.jpg
    20190418_150832.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 236
Looks pretty tasty and they are available locally they can be a cheaper way to feed a group a nice meal compared to individual steaks.

What internal temp did you get it up to in the smoker? That sucker looks great! I think I may have to try one this weekend.

Looks outstanding. Kudos. I did one a month ago that was delicious. My wife said she preferred the oven option over smoked. :rolleyes:

Looks amazing and you got some beautiful color on it. Great work!

Looks perfect!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What internal temp did you get it up to in the smoker? That sucker looks great! I think I may have to try one this weekend.

250 degrees sir! Smoker at 250 with hickory wood, pulled at 103, then got it over some screaming hot lump charcoal to finish at 128. Covered loosely with foil and rested 10 minutes. Porter Road Farms 2.25lb. piece, olive oil, Killer Hogs AP rub followed by Killer Hogs BBQ rub. Was really delicious and super tender.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the nice comments!! I was a bit nervous doing the cook being that it was my first time with a tri tip and being $26 lol. I've ruined Over $100 in meat learning all this stuff...glad this cook came out damn near perfect. The next one will be better!

Mighty fine lookin' tri-tip!

Back