Making an award winning Rib.

Rib Rub

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Now I am just a backyard hack. I love cooking Q and feel I get a little better everytime and I think my stuff is good and my family and friends think so also. But my question, is there really some underlying secret to making a rack of ribs that will win a competition along with many comps? I have watched hundreds of videos and everybody seems to do the same thing. Some different variations with wrapping them with honey and parkay and all that jazz, but what I want to know what is the process of making an award winning rib. I mean is it just as simple as a special rub and using the right wood and temp and hoping them come out good?

What I am getting at is Johnny Trigg shows up to a comp and wins it. The other teams know he is going to win on top of it. He does it time and time again. I mean what is so special what he is doing? I also get regional things. What works in KC will not work in NC.

I would just like to get better and know what more there is to do. I have two racks on the Pit Barrel as I am writing this. I am just hoping to get a thumbs up award today for my cook.

The funny part is Johnny Trigg, doesn't like his ribs. I have tried the whole parkay and honey thing. Not a fan. You will probably get better advice in the comp section

Looks like you're watching BBQ Pit Masters. :-D

I would post this in the Competition forum.

Now I am just a backyard hack. I love cooking Q and feel I get a little better everytime and I think my stuff is good and my family and friends think so also. But my question, is there really some underlying secret to making a rack of ribs that will win a competition along with many comps? I have watched hundreds of videos and everybody seems to do the same thing. Some different variations with wrapping them with honey and parkay and all that jazz, but what I want to know what is the process of making an award winning rib. I mean is it just as simple as a special rub and using the right wood and temp and hoping them come out good?

What I am getting at is Johnny Trigg shows up to a comp and wins it. The other teams know he is going to win on top of it. He does it time and time again. I mean what is so special what he is doing? I also get regional things. What works in KC will not work in NC.

I would just like to get better and know what more there is to do. I have two racks on the Pit Barrel as I am writing this. I am just hoping to get a thumbs up award today for my cook.

I think the biggest thing you are up against with competition ribs is tenderness. You have to nail that. The PBC can definitely crank out winning ribs though.

Back