MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default When/what was your first time...eating steak?

Happy (Mike) got me thinking about this from a post he made about "what is a steak". I grew up eating hamburger helper and other easy to assemble homemade food. Steak may have happened occasionally? At the Western Sizzlin one or two times a year, mom would order everybody a medium well steak. I had a really bad experience when I decided to finally order my own. Beef tips on a kabob, when I had a lose, sore tooth , not much older than 9 or 10. Didnt care for steak a while after that.
ANYWAY, now I am smarter (sort of ) and cook a good steak every now and then at home. Not past medium rareish is my preference.

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

last week

Old 04-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
SlickRockStones
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Gary

Dad used to take us out to a place called Black Angus steakhouse in St. Pete, Fl. in the mid to late 60s when visiting my older brother at Admiral Farragut school. They had huge black angus steers out front that I would pretend bulldog. At home it was always big top sirloin grilled on a CI hibachi then slathered with Kraft bbq sauce.
SlickRockStones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

oops I thought you said last time, sorry about that

Old 04-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
oops I thought you said last time, sorry about that

Haha Tom B... with a steak like that you might as well just call it your first!! That thing looks delicious!

Old 04-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Gosh, I don't know. But young, maybe 5 or 6 I'd guess.
My Dad was the type to bring home some of the oddest oddities. A Chef where he worked like to send Dad home with some off the wall jars of gourmet things.
I remember candied bees, and chocolate grasshoppers. I think the guy was a masochist. But we'd try the crap.
Now, I'm almost sworn off of beef. I use to be Mr. Steak and taters. I'd fix myself a frozen plastic steak from Costco 3-5 times a week.
Then I had a heart attack due to cholesterol. Have a stint in one coronary artery (RCA), and should have one in my LCA. But have to wait until it reaches 80% blockage. 77% isn't the magic number for my HMO.

So the bottom line is: No more Steak and buttery tators for this guy. Now days it's Salmon, Chicken, and Pork. I've been weened.
So I tend to do a lot with those. My wife could eat chicken 8 days a week, but me, not so much. LOL!
I Sous Vide a pork Loin roast yesterday, and I've sliced it, seasoned it, and it is smoking right now.
So Salmon is my Rib Eye, and Pork is my Porkerhouse.
But I promised to try and stick around for my Grandkids.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I don't recall the exact moment but I'm sure I thought steak was odd (but good) the first time I had it. Growing up my mom loved liver and onions and so do I. She would always tell me it was steak. I guess to keep me from being one of those kids who hates liver even though they've never tried it.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

Seems like it was usually a Friday or Saturday night in the summer at the grandparents thing for us. Always thin, grocery store ribeyes but I couldn't tell you how they were cooked. My grandpa was one of those guys who had to eat it as rare as possible just because...

Didn't eat much steak as a teen or in college. I started doing my own after eating at Bob's here in Dallas in my mid 20s and wanting to replicate it.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
blake
Full Fledged Farker

I fathom I was around 3. In the summer time, usually on Friday or Saturday night, Dad would grill out steak. Mom made fresh from the garden fried okra or squash and zucchini, with corn from the garden too. How could I forget the fresh tomatoes on the side and then later in the evening the homemade ice cream. That lasted until I was around 9 or 10 and we quit getting 1.5-3 cows per year from my grandfather's farm.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

My first steak was when I was a young kid. I hated steak growing up because my mom always cooked a porterhouse steak in a black iron frying pan to leathery bone dry “well done” with worcestershire sauce poured all over it for flavor. She likes it that way, but I hated it. I finally had a good “rare” steak at someone else’s house when I was a teen and really liked it. Chris

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 04-12-2019 at 10:11 PM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I do remember the first time one of the Grandson's tasted steak....
He said, "UMMM! That is some good chicken!"

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #12
Prodrvr
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Big Time

I started eating steak right out of the womb!!
Prodrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #13
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
I dont believe that.

You live in Florida not Texas...

Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #14
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
Baby food don’t count .

Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #15
Gimmethecash
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Steven

I started pretty young - my dad’s always been good at grilling steaks, and it was a fairly rare treat that I would really look forward to when I found out we were having them.
Camp Chef FTG600
Cookshack Amerique
2 x Sous Vide Supreme
Minipack MV31X
Gimmethecash is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.