MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Default Drum Smokers

Gents

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week. Been looking to add to the lineup and am considering adding a drum, specifically a Hunsaker. I’m curious how the texture and taste compares to an offset stick burner. How’s the bark, smoke ring, cook times? I’m considering getting into comps and these might just be the way to go with ease of transportation. Are guys winning comps with these? Thanks for the help

Matt
Mattb82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
JWACKS
On the road to being a farker

If you check the top KCBS teams, about half are using drums. I hate that I regularly get beat by teams cooking on burn barrels.
They tend to cook hotter (though they don't necessarily have to). One of the big differences is that the drippings fall directly on the coals and burn, creating a bit more of a grilled flavor.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #3
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I had Hunsaker drums. They work great. I regret selling them and will own one again. Cook times seemed shorter on my drums compared to my Shirley at similar temps, I assume that is related to convection or more direct heat in the drum. The flavor is different than a stick burner, not necessarily bad or anything like that but different, as JWACKS mentioned. Dripping fat/juices onto the charcoal basket does produce a different flavor, aside from the fuel source...matter of personal preference.

I dont really consider whether or not one cooker or another wins in competition barbecue to have that much to do with anything other than competition barbecue, personally everyone seems to turn their noses up to saucey injected things here anyway.

Last edited by sudsandswine; 04-11-2019 at 10:16 PM..
sudsandswine is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys. Very tempting to buy one. I know comp success based on smoker type is very subjective with many variables but I think trends can be found in anything
Mattb82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think the fast cook times, ease of use, and portability make them great candidates for competition barbecue. Plus you can get 3 or 4 drums for half the price of some of the popular stick burners you might find at a competition.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 AM   #6
pasquale388

i have cooked on gateway drum for about 2 years now. i can tell the bark is great and it has a beautiful smoke ring. i can let you know next week how the hunsaker compares. i will be taken my order of a hunsaker next Tuesday.
pasquale388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #7
kynmo2010

You can check out friends of hunsaker vortex smokers on Facebook. I don't own one, but have used a UDS I made for years and it puts out great BBQ. I know a couple people personally that use Hunsakers and they seem to be really happy with them. They seem to run a little hotter but very consistent temps. They are made in Columbia MO, 90 miles from me, and Mark and Ryan appear to have great customer service.
kynmo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with a drum, I've had my two for 11 or 12 years and I can honestly say the convenience and flavor are hard to beat. I pulled the trigger after Danny Gaulden posted a review of a Big Drum Smoker (BDS). In that review Danny called the aroma when cooking the Grandpa smell, which gave me a flashback to being in my Grandfathers back yard on weekends when he was cooking.

Whatever brand you decide on, I would recommend getting some sort of rig for hanging meats, this will triple your capacity for doing things like ribs, and you can hang skewers vertically as well.

The claim that drums cook faster is partially due to the flow of heat and the cone of heat in the center. Most drums have a short stem thermometer mounted on the side. I experimented with cable thermometers and found the pit temp in the center of the grate could be as mush as 35° or 40° higher than at the edge of the drum. I went with 12" long thermometers and they help me keep a more accurate pit temp.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote