Bad BBQ

B

BBQ Guy

I realize that some have stated that there is no such thing as bad BBQ. The other night, my wife was having one of her hen parties - I had to get out of the house. I wanted to try a place that I have heard about for the 15 years that I have lived here...went there and ordered the rib plate. It was a half slab with fries and baked beans all for 7.95. On top of that, the beer was extremely cold and 1.50/glass...overall, the price is good. But when the ribs came, they were covered in some slime/glaze and had the texture of them having been previously boiled. Plus the glaze was so sweet that you could have used it for cake icing.

So here is my question - Is it true that there is no such thing as bad BBQ or is it that some BBQ is just better than others?

If this is the wrong thread position - my apologies in advance.

When you boil and glaze em, you didn't BBQ them IMHO so the jury is still out on the no bad BBQ statement.

There ought to be some sorta BBQ police that cuts down and burns BBQ signs at places like that.

Yes there is bad BBQ. We as Brethren, are constantly striving to hone our craft and locate those that are doing the same. That's why I'm a member. What may be good to others may not be good to us. I believe some BBQ joints exist because there are so many out there that do not know what good BBq really is.

Bad BBQ?????

I've encountered the same effect here also, and they had the gall to ask if I wanted a take home box.........by the way love your avitar:-D

There ought to be some sorta BBQ police that cuts down and burns BBQ signs at places like that.

Well, in his defense, he does not have a sign up that says "BBQ". However, it is a well established place that has been there for a while and everybody that has eaten there just raves about it....which speaks volumes about the state of quality "Q" here in West Kentucky. I told the waitress that it was not good and shouldn't be called BBQ - and that just pi**ed her off. She went and got the cook (don't want to call him a pitmaster) and he offered to let me out of the door with just the two beers I drank. I didn't want to do that, paid my bill and walked out. Anyway, I can now cross that one off my list.

Well, in his defense, he does not have a sign up that says "BBQ". However, it is a well established place that has been there for a while and everybody that has eaten there just raves about it....which speaks volumes about the state of quality "Q" here in West Kentucky. I told the waitress that it was not good and shouldn't be called BBQ - and that just pi**ed her off. She went and got the cook (don't want to call him a pitmaster) and he offered to let me out of the door with just the two beers I drank. I didn't want to do that, paid my bill and walked out. Anyway, I can now cross that one off my list.

Thanks for the visual That is funny and ballsy:twisted: :biggrin:

Now I'm not trying to start a fire BBQ Guy, but how about giving us the name of this place, so we can avoid it if we're ever in the area?

I would always prefer to be steered by personal knowledge when looking for somewhere to eat, and over the years I have eaten at some terrible looking places on a personal recommendation, and I have not been offered bad advice yet.

We have some good BBQ places here in Oklahoma City. I've been to many of them. Before I learned how to do it right myself (still learning) I used to go quite often. Now, since I eat my own Q regularly, I don't go out for it very often at all. Especially ribs and brisket. I can honestly say that my ribs and brisket are better than any place i've been in town except for a place called Jacks that has closed unfortunately.

I heard there are a couple of real authentic good places on the East side, bt I haven't checked them out yet. The point is, I've spoiled myself. :)

B

Had the same sort of incident here in San Diego. The Place "Kansas City BBQ". You may remember it as the place Top Gun was filmed in. First they oven baked the ribs, then they refrigerated them, then I ordered and they had the gall to pour store bought sauce on them and micro wave.....Never been back!!!:evil:

Of course most of us here prefer those ones that are precooked and cryovac'd with the sauce on them already.
Best ribs anywhere!!!!!!!:twisted:

Darn Tootin'
BBQ can be bad. There is a place up by Warrensburg, MO. called Bill Sharp's. Now that place had some BAD Q! I've been driving by the place for years and finally got the chance to stop.
What a M-I-S-T-A-K-E!

Now I'm not trying to start a fire BBQ Guy, but how about giving us the name of this place, so we can avoid it if we're ever in the area?

Lord forgive me and be with the little pygmies down in New Guinea...The name of the place is called the Country Castle in Paducah, Kentucky. It is a long established watering hole that started cooking pork a while ago. As I mentioned, the locals have all said that if you want good BBQ, go there. Well I did. I will give them this - the beer is good and cold. Momma always said try to say something good about everybody.

Darn Tootin'
BBQ can be bad. There is a place up by Warrensburg, MO. called Bill Sharp's. Now that place had some BAD Q! I've been driving by the place for years and finally got the chance to stop.
What a M-I-S-T-A-K-E!
***I was going to make this entry and saw River City's! OMG, it was the nastiest Q I have ever had in my life. And, while the serving size was most sufficient, I just could not eat the stuff. Price; I felt it was definitely overpriced, too. I was just really set back by this place. So, in answer to your question...YES THERE IS SUCH THING AS VERY BAD BBQ, or should I say a poor excuse for such?

See, this is what ticks me off now about BBQ places. I'm no pro at slow smoking food. However in just a few years time I've been able to learn how to produce good to above average BBQ. Why can't long established BBQ resturants do this? Case in point: One of the largest BBQ chains in Alabama is Golden Rule BBQ, been around for years. All their food is cooked over a brick pit. I have one about 5 miles from my house, and they can't cook ribs to save their life. I swear they just put them on the pitt, don't season them at all, and then leave them there until all the taste is cooked out of them.

My wife thinks I'm crazy but I honestly get mad when a BBQ place has poor food. My Goodness I live in the Heart of Dixie, BBQ is supposed to flow through our veins. To me its one of the easiest styles of cooking to learn. Its just insulting to me when they screw it up. I guess its like going to philly and getting a crappy steak and cheese, or bad lobster from Maine you get what I'm saying.

I'm glad you guys are here. You understand, you are brethren.

ya there is bad BBQ

See, this is what ticks me off now about BBQ places. I'm no pro at slow smoking food.

My Goodness I live in the Heart of Dixie, BBQ is supposed to flow through our veins. To me its one of the easiest styles of cooking to learn. Its just insulting to me when they screw it up. I guess its like going to philly and getting a crappy steak and cheese, or bad lobster from Maine you get what I'm saying.
/QUOTE]

I feel your pain brother!!! We had a decent Q restaurant locally that replaced their pit with a propane unit. Not a stick to be found... I will never go there again... I promise.

Back