1 small white onion, quartered
2 poblano chiles, seeded and cut into quarters
2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and quartered
4 large garlic cloves, peeled and flattened
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
3 - 15 oz cans hominy OR 1 1/2lbs prepared dried pozole

Instructions

Place water and chicken stock in a large enameled cast iron casserole and bring to a boil. Add chicken breasts skin side down, cover and simmer over low heat until cooked through but still tender about 25 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and shred the meat; discard skin and bones. Skim fat from cooking liquid and reserve the liquid.

In a blender combine tomatillos, onion, poblano and jalapeno chiles, garlic, cilantro and Mexican oregano. Pulse until coarsely chopped scraping down the sides. With machine running add 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and puree until smooth. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a large deep, heavy skillet. Add the tomatillo puree and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce turns deep green; about 12 minutes.

Pour the sauce into the cooking liquid in the casserole. Add the hominy (pozole) and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the shredded chicken to the stew, season with salt and pepper and cooked just until heated through. Serve the pozole in deep bowls. Pass garnishes.

I made this last weekend, but substituted kidney beans as we don’t like hominy. ‘Twas amaze-balls.

Back