MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

Default "Active Hold" Question

When I do pork butts, I always hang in the PBC until 160*-ish, double wrap in foil until probe tender, then throw it in a cooler until time to pull. Always comes out the way I want, but the bark is soft. Was wondering how it would turn out if I skipped wrapping, reached probe tender in a pan, and held uncovered in an oven or pellet grill instead. It would obviously keep the bark texture, but would the meat get tender enough without drying out? Anyone else do it this way?
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
When I do pork butts, I always hang in the PBC until 160*-ish, double wrap in foil until probe tender, then throw it in a cooler until time to pull. Always comes out the way I want, but the bark is soft. Was wondering how it would turn out if I skipped wrapping, reached probe tender in a pan, and held uncovered in an oven or pellet grill instead. It would obviously keep the bark texture, but would the meat get tender enough without drying out? Anyone else do it this way?
I don’t do it that way because I like a more flexible bark. I keep it wrapped. Once I got my pellet grill I do an active hold for 2 hours at around 170 deg at end of cooking. This keeps meat internal temp from dropping below 195 deg which makes even the worst brisket imaginable tender and juicy in the end.
Unwrapped should work though but it might dry out a little. Be careful with over smoking it also

Old 11-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Smoking Piney
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

I leave it in the smoke to finish - around 205 average IT, probe tender all around and good bone wiggle - no wrap.

Hold for for an hour or two foil / towel / cooler to let it even out.

The bark stays intact when you pull the meat.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
smoke ninja

I prefer to wrap in paper. it's a happy middle

Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

I wrap in BP once the bark sets. Then i add water to the water pan and cook on till its probe tender.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
smoke ninja

the last brisket I did I cooked until probe tender and then wrapped in paper and held in my roaster until service. the bark was crunchy. I didn't care for it as much as wrapping earlier but it worked just fine. it's all a matter of preference

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #7
keeperofsecrets
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ringo

You may consider the 3-2-1 ribs approach. Wrap as usual, then uncover for the last hour to two hours.

Personally, I pan and cover with foil when it is around 160 so I keep much of the juices and cook till the bone wiggles, then rest in my hot box for a while. I still get lots of good bark, although prob not as much as I would have uncovered.

A-1 Competition Smoker
48x48 open wood grill
72x48 open wood grill/smoker/pig roaster
Sam's 8-burner gas Event Grill w/griddle drop-in
Blackstone Range Top Combo Grill
keeperofsecrets is offline   Reply With Quote