MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Dry Aged Beef Project

I happened upon a used restaurant refrigerator (for free, huge score) last year that was the perfect excuse to start dry aging. I’ve wanted to age large primals for years but haven’t had the fridge real estate.

So far I’ve got 2 prime rib and 2 strip steak primals in there. I cut each in half and am staggering the ages of each. 28 days, 45, 60, and 90. This is just to get my feet wet, round 1.

The 28 day cuts are coming out on Nov 2, I’ll update the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE73C9E7-632D-4A2C-97DF-E2F9348F42A5.jpg (65.5 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg 49E0615E-3898-492B-817E-ADC762017C62.jpg (79.5 KB, 540 views)
CentralOhioBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Looks good, except your humidity is too low. You want 85% to 90% humidity, and you could drop your temp down to 34 to 36.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Looks good, except your humidity is too low. You want 85% to 90% humidity, and you could drop your temp down to 34 to 36.
Knew someone would comment on that. I had just had the door open. The temp is at 37.5 on avg with little fluctuation and the humidity around 75. I could add a water pan but have read conflicting reports and am hesitant to.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:32 AM   #4
seakuv
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

That looks like a fun project. Do you have to do anything with the pieces along the way (rotate, turn, etc) or is it simply a waiting game? It'll be very interesting to read your reports on the results at the different time frames. Nice score on the refrigerator!
seakuv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
WhitesideJC
Full Fledged Farker

Is it Friday yet? Looking forward to seeing how the results turn out across the different times.

L BGE // Cinder Block Pit // Shirley 24 x 36 Patio
WhitesideJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This is the setup I hope to have some day. I had a SteakAger device that allowed me to do about 13-15lbs at a time....while the results were always good, it was never enough meat given the time involved. Repurposing a fridge and dedicating it to dry aging seems more up my ally.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakuv View Post
That looks like a fun project. Do you have to do anything with the pieces along the way (rotate, turn, etc) or is it simply a waiting game? It'll be very interesting to read your reports on the results at the different time frames. Nice score on the refrigerator!

I've rotated the meat 1 time so far, but have re-angled the fan several times as well. My logic says changing the air flow via fan angle is the same thing, but I'll probably rotate every month or so too.

I'll def post pics and cooking results as we go, I'll keep the thread alive. The sq ft inside the fridge is huge, I have plenty of room to start some charcuterie experiments as well.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralOhioBBQ View Post
I've rotated the meat 1 time so far, but have re-angled the fan several times as well. My logic says changing the air flow via fan angle is the same thing, but I'll probably rotate every month or so too.

I'll def post pics and cooking results as we go, I'll keep the thread alive. The sq ft inside the fridge is huge, I have plenty of room to start some charcuterie experiments as well.

Looking forward to your update.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
sudsandswine

Quote:

I was under the impression charcuterie required different temps and humidity levels than what works well for dry aging beef?

Old 10-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I was under the impression charcuterie required different temps and humidity levels than what works well for dry aging beef?

Yep, most but not all. Luckily, one of my 4 fridges in the garage is vacant. For those cuts that need to be at 55ish with high humidity. Glad you mentioned that, because i need to see what temp that fridge holds on it's highest setting - I'm worried it might be too cold. If that's the case I'll have to spend $100 on one of those Johnson temp controllers.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
sudsandswine

4 fridges in the garage, my man

Old 10-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #12
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Subscribed! Can't wait to see the progress reports!
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
Big N Hot
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Knew someone would comment on that. I had just had the door open. The temp is at 37.5 on avg with little fluctuation and the humidity around 75. I could add a water pan but have read conflicting reports and am hesitant to.
I'm glad I've never tried it then. I figured dry aging meant that the environment was very low in humidity.
Big N Hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Looking forward to your review
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Garage photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7A152F5D-2193-4E08-9071-4EA0B5169DBB.jpg (56.7 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg AC511A1E-EF6B-4B28-BEE2-FEEC8BD2E9EC.jpg (74.9 KB, 405 views)