MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 09-06-13
Location: Croton, NY
Default Temps (again)

I have ranted about this before but I am back
Started a pork butt at 7AM
Got the Weber Summit to 225* but it then drifts
It goes to 250* so I adjust the upper vents
it goes to 215* so I adjust again
finally it goes to 225* again but again it starts to move
What am I doing wrong
I keep reading the this cooker is stable but not for me

Also the temps I am quoting are from the FireBoard
The dome thermometer is about 10+* cooler

It is in the 50's where i am

Help is appreciated

Mark
__________________
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote




Old 10-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 06-24-18
Location: Columbia, MD
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post
I have ranted about this before but I am back
Started a pork butt at 7AM
Got the Weber Summit to 225* but it then drifts
It goes to 250* so I adjust the upper vents
it goes to 215* so I adjust again
finally it goes to 225* again but again it starts to move
What am I doing wrong
I keep reading the this cooker is stable but not for me

Also the temps I am quoting are from the FireBoard
The dome thermometer is about 10+* cooler

It is in the 50's where i am

Help is appreciated

Mark
Caring too much. If I'm smoking idc what the temp is as long as it's between 225-275. Don't stress, just enjoy it.
__________________
WSM22, 18.5 Kettle w/ Vortex https://imgur.com/user/KevinsSmokes
Kevin89 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 09-06-13
Location: Croton, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin89 View Post
Caring too much. If I'm smoking idc what the temp is as long as it's between 225-275. Don't stress, just enjoy it.
thanks but my "thinking" is that if I let it keep running at 250* it will never stop -
Is that wrong?
I mean - something is causing it to go up?!
__________________
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 06-24-18
Location: Columbia, MD
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post
thanks but my "thinking" is that if I let it keep running at 250* it will never stop -
Is that wrong?
I mean - something is causing it to go up?!
It could or won't. All depends how much draft there is(wind can be an issue), it'll settle but it takes sometime after changes for temps to level off. Some units like to run at certain temps, the more you use it the more you learn how it wants to run with the vent settings.
__________________
WSM22, 18.5 Kettle w/ Vortex https://imgur.com/user/KevinsSmokes
Kevin89 is offline   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 09-06-13
Location: Croton, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin89 View Post
It could or won't. All depends how much draft there is(wind can be an issue), it'll settle but it takes sometime after changes for temps to level off. Some units like to run at certain temps, the more you use it the more you learn how it wants to run with the vent settings.
I agree and I’ve used this for two years
Haven’t gotten to a point to where I don’t get this to happen
__________________
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 02-08-10
Location: Howell, MI
Default

Quit mucking with the vents. You are after an average of the temp you wish. Based on the temps you posted, you cooked at +/- 228.75 degrees.
At a guess, there was a breeze, so the temp went up to 250, when the breeze died, it would have gone back down. Electronic thermometers are too accurate when used outdoors, leading to the problem of micro managing.
I used to use a turkey fryer thermo stuck through the upper vent of my kettle. It was good for around +/- 25 degrees, which is good enough. I bought a Dot, and tried both. Turkey thermo read the same as it always did, the Dot went up and down constantly.
Where way the probe? It should be next to the meat, that's the only temp that matters, the meat isn't near the dome thermometer.
__________________
Two Weber daisy wheel kettles A: 1979 P: 1993, and an unused ECB
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 09-06-13
Location: Croton, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Quit mucking with the vents. You are after an average of the temp you wish. Based on the temps you posted, you cooked at +/- 228.75 degrees.
At a guess, there was a breeze, so the temp went up to 250, when the breeze died, it would have gone back down. Electronic thermometers are too accurate when used outdoors, leading to the problem of micro managing.
I used to use a turkey fryer thermo stuck through the upper vent of my kettle. It was good for around +/- 25 degrees, which is good enough. I bought a Dot, and tried both. Turkey thermo read the same as it always did, the Dot went up and down constantly.
Where way the probe? It should be next to the meat, that's the only temp that matters, the meat isn't near the dome thermometer.
My firebrand is next to the meat.
__________________
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
Nuco59
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Join Date: 08-18-13
Location: Texas
Default

You might be sweating the temps too much. Like Mr. Kevin said.

Possibly you are not letting the cooker stabilize? If you have it sitting at 225* for an hour, it's stable- put your meat on and wait- and wait some more. (not sure why you dig 225* but /shrug)

I don't follow the Summit - is it known for running out of control? Might be a group on virtualweberbullet.com you could also bounce this off of.
__________________
I started out with nothing and I got most of it left.
Nuco59 is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

 
jasonjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-20-07
Location: Ponte Vedra, Florida
Name/Nickname : Jason
Default

If you're going to be anal about your temps I'd suggest getting a cooker that will do a better job maintaining them. I'm not trying to be flippant here. I'd also sweat those swings.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 10-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

 
sudsandswine's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-23-12
Location: Kansas City
Default

I would try to get it running at a higher temp and see if it wants to stabilize better there. 225* is pretty low...unnecessarily low, IMO. Some cookers just run better at certain temps. I also wouldnt sweat temp swings...most stick burners have 30-50* swings between the peaks and valleys and the food quality is not sacrificed.
__________________
Shirley Fabrication 24x60 | Primo XL kamado | Red Weber Limited Edition kettle | Mak 2 Star | Blackstone 36" griddle | Weber Ranch kettle
sudsandswine is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 10-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 09-06-13
Location: Croton, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
You might be sweating the temps too much. Like Mr. Kevin said.

Possibly you are not letting the cooker stabilize? If you have it sitting at 225* for an hour, it's stable- put your meat on and wait- and wait some more. (not sure why you dig 225* but /shrug)

I don't follow the Summit - is it known for running out of control? Might be a group on virtualweberbullet.com you could also bounce this off of.
I’ll check
__________________
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #12
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 09-06-13
Location: Croton, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
If you're going to be anal about your temps I'd suggest getting a cooker that will do a better job maintaining them. I'm not trying to be flippant here. I'd also sweat those swings.
I thought this was the best
__________________
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

 
jasonjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-20-07
Location: Ponte Vedra, Florida
Name/Nickname : Jason
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post
I thought this was the best
I don't have personal experience with it, but from the website:
Quote:
Air-Insulated double-walled porcelain-enameled lid and bowl

Sounds like it should perform pretty well given my experience with WSM which was not even double walled. It settled in perfectly temp wise most of the time.

Cookers with real insulation like fiberglass, rockwool etc. typically do a great job of maintaining an even temperature.

A quick look at the charcoal summit definitely looks like it "should" work so may be something else like other folks have mentioned. Maybe an opening somewhere that's allowing too much airflow when the wind kicks up etc.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 09-06-13
Location: Croton, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
I don't have personal experience with it, but from the website:


Sounds like it should perform pretty well given my experience with WSM which was not even double walled. It settled in perfectly temp wise most of the time.

Cookers with real insulation like fiberglass, rockwool etc. typically do a great job of maintaining an even temperature.

A quick look at the charcoal summit definitely looks like it "should" work so may be something else like other folks have mentioned. Maybe an opening somewhere that's allowing too much airflow when the wind kicks up etc.
The only opening is the amount keep open by the thermometer probe wires
__________________
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 10-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 02-08-10
Location: Howell, MI
Default

If the dome thermometer is steady 10 degrees below your target temp, you might find it less stressful to go by that and just use the electronics to monitor the food temp.
Another thing you might try, just to get another take on how much temps fluctuate, is to cook something in your oven using the electronic therm. You turn the dial on the oven to a certain temp and trust it. The actual temp goes up and down, and might not even match the setting.
__________________
Two Weber daisy wheel kettles A: 1979 P: 1993, and an unused ECB
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts