MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew
Default OK, so I bought a Thermapen

For years, I have been wondering why people would spend that much on an instant read thermometer; I get mine off Amazon for less than $20 and they work fine for a couple of years. My 3 year-old thermometer bit the dust and I was just in the mood so I bought a MK4. The entire time - at the register, driving home, opening the packaging - I was silently chanting "I don't need this, I don't need this". A few hours later, I was checking the temp of my chicken and I stopped chanting.

I don't need a Thermapen; I could have cooked the chicken without it. My old instant read only took a couple of seconds longer. There's really no reason to have one, but I'm glad I do! And, I think the chicken actually tasted better!

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
seakuv
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

If you have anything near the same kind of results that I've had with mine, you may never need to buy another one. Just change the battery ever few years instead of buying a whole new thermometer.
seakuv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

That Thermapen injects some secret something or other into the meat every time you use it. But taste depends on the which color you use. Better get several in different colors and taste the difference.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
Joshw
Babbling Farker

There is a lot of things we don't need, that make life better. I was a hold out on Thermapen, for a long time, but I wouldn't want to be without it now.

That couple of seconds is a big deal, when you are trying to temp several pieces of meat, while smoke is billowing in your face. Especially during the dog days of summer, when I am trying to get back to AC as quick as possible. But it is certainly a luxury item.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
RC0032
Got Wood.

Direct Amazon link?

Building my Christmas list and looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-C...8-7&ref=sr_1_7

Last edited by RC0032; 10-10-2018 at 10:20 AM..
RC0032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
seakuv
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I think that you'll be a LOT better off buying direct from ThermoWorks that buying from a third party via Amazon. YMMV. I just placed an order with Thermoworks on Monday, - shipped same day, should arrive today. Great service and if you find a "new" Thermapen at a lower price than what ThermoWorks lists, you might want to be cautious about what you're buying.

Here's what they post on their website:

"Warning regarding ThermoWorks products at Amazon, eBay and other sites

The lowest internet prices for ThermoWorks products are available at thermoworks.com and through special offers received by subscribers to ThermoWorks emails.

Amazon, eBay, walmart.com, sears.com and their sellers are NOT Authorized Dealers. There are unscrupulous sellers at those sites who have purchased ThermoWorks products at retail prices and are then re-selling them at significantly elevated prices, sometimes 2 to 4 times the Authorized List Price. After receiving numerous complaints from customers who were victimized by those listings, we felt it was important to do what we could to warn unsuspecting consumers.

Furthermore, we have received a growing number of complaints that such sellers are offering counterfeit, copycat, stolen units, and "Open-Box" units as authentic NEW ThermoWorks products. Thus, from January 1st of 2016, technical support and warranty coverage are only available on ThermoWorks products that are purchased direct from ThermoWorks or from ThermoWorks' Authorized Dealers. In this way we know the consumer is fully protected and we can protect our reputation for treating customers fairly."

Last edited by seakuv; 10-10-2018 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: grammar
seakuv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I have had a thermapen for years Actually just got a second as the first was not as accurate I use to have a refurbished one also- did not like it so I got rid of it
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Editing instead of deleting, which I don't know how to do.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Direct Amazon link?

Building my Christmas list and looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-C...8-7&ref=sr_1_7
I had an older version of that one. It's a good thermometer, but this is about the Thermapen. You don't need to spend the extra money, but you'll be glad you did.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
dadsr4

Quote:
Direct Amazon link?
I think he was referring to the old thermometer, but Thermapen doesn't guarantee units bought anywhere besides their own site. The best price I've seen is when they have an open box sale. If you are interested, get on their email list.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
RC0032
Got Wood.

Ya i struggle with the $100 price tag. Maybe I need my own thread for best insta-read under $50
RC0032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

I like the speed of my thermapen, but I utterly dislike it not turning on every time I flip it open. Limited time warranty on it so now I just deal with the annoying inconvenience.
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Twangzer View Post
That Thermapen injects some secret something or other into the meat every time you use it. But taste depends on the which color you use. Better get several in different colors and taste the difference.
That's why I got mine in red!! Gives everything a great color.

Really tho I have two of the Javelins off amazon and they work fine. One for by the smokers, one for kitchen use. The thermoworks is way faster, but if I wasn't given the Thermapen as a gift I'd never buy one. Can't justify the price tag. it is nicer, but not that much nicer.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
smoke ninja

Quote:
Ya i struggle with the $100 price tag. Maybe I need my own thread for best insta-read under $50
thermaworks dot or the javelin pro

edit: the dot is the leave in probe. I meant the thermapop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
I like the speed of my thermapen, but I utterly dislike it not turning on every time I flip it open. Limited time warranty on it so now I just deal with the annoying inconvenience.
I believe their service cost is under $25 no matter what is wrong with it.

Last edited by smoke ninja; 10-10-2018 at 12:20 PM..
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #15
dadsr4

Quote:
ThermoPop $34.00