MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Moosefire66
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : rich
Default Smithfield extra meaty rib problems

I've never had these before but my dad took them out of the freezer for dinner yesterday so I cooked them up 3-2-1 style. During the 3 hour cook part I sprayed apple cider once an hour, foiled for the 2, and when I checked them after the 2 hour foiling there was no pull back at all, and the ribs were still pretty stiff. So I foiled them again and left them on for another hour with no changes. So I just put them back on the grill for maybe 2 mire hours, no pull back, no anything. Ribs were not fall off the bone at all.

Did I forget something? Temps stayed between 240 and 260 the whole time based on my fireboard. Just a gas grill cooked indirect....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Moosefire66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosefire66 View Post
I've never had these before but my dad took them out of the freezer for dinner yesterday so I cooked them up 3-2-1 style. During the 3 hour cook part I sprayed apple cider once an hour, foiled for the 2, and when I checked them after the 2 hour foiling there was no pull back at all, and the ribs were still pretty stiff. So I foiled them again and left them on for another hour with no changes. So I just put them back on the grill for maybe 2 mire hours, no pull back, no anything. Ribs were not fall off the bone at all.

Did I forget something? Temps stayed between 240 and 260 the whole time based on my fireboard. Just a gas grill cooked indirect....

I've never had good luck with Smithfield meats, but they still should have cooked in 8 hours at 250 deg. I'd suspect something was screwy with the temperature measurement. Was the sensor next to the meat, since that is the temp reading that's important. On some ribs there is never any pull back, and the bend test is imprecise. I go by the toothpick test. Stick a probe into a jar of peanut butter, that's what done ribs feel like.
Also, that's a lot of time with the lid open on the cooker. The loss of heat adds to cooking time, most gassers don't have much thermal mass.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Cook them all time. Never have had an issue. I did some baby backs yesterday on the PBC and they were perfectly done in 3 hours.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Your temperature gauge is waaaay off. Check it by temping boiling water.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
jeffeg
On the road to being a farker

Some of those ribs are like racks of pork chops.
I guess because ribs go for more a pound than loin they leave lots of meat on them.
I like them, but they usually take around 6 hrs at 225/250 (I don't wrap).
that what my Sam's carries, I never could understand how everyone kept saying BB's are done in less time than spares, until I saw pics of their BB"s.
jeffeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
16Adams

Buy small ribs.

Under 2.5# back Under 4.5# Full Spares. Imho-worth the hunt. Closer the bone the better the meat.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
Moosefire66
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : rich

Thanks everybody for the help

Moosefire66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

When it comes to Loin Back ribs, I look for the ones that do not appear to be carrying a large hunk of the loin on their back :)

I just posted in another thread that I look for the thickest, meatiest ribs I can find. Well that only applies to Spare Ribs. Loin Backs are a different story. Having a large hunk of lean loin meat on top of what is already fairly lean loin back meat makes for a typically dry result. This is why I always go for spares. Only time I buy Loin Backs is when they are on deep discount and look good.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
When it comes to Loin Back ribs, I look for the ones that do not appear to be carrying a large hunk of the loin on their back :)

I just posted in another thread that I look for the thickest, meatiest ribs I can find. Well that only applies to Spare Ribs. Loin Backs are a different story. Having a large hunk of lean loin meat on top of what is already fairly lean loin back meat makes for a typically dry result. This is why I always go for spares. Only time I buy Loin Backs is when they are on deep discount and look good.
I bought some at Costco recently, on sale. I am thinking of brining them with Oakridge Game Changer, to keep moist. Have you ever tried brining first?
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #10
thirdeye

Was talking to a friend a couple of days ago about the same thing, the extra strip of loin meat on some BB ribs. He told me he's been injecting them in that thicker area and in between the bones as well. I need to give that a try.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
lankster35
Take a breath!

We buy the Smithfield all the time when they are $1.29-$1.49lb. for the money I think they are great. My cooks are lower temps 250ish and 5-6 hours normally. 3 unwrapped, 1-2 wrapped (not foil - paper) depending on what they looked like at the 3 hour mark and then depends what they look like after I unwrapped. Been as short as done in 15 min to another hour...

Old 09-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #12
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

All I cook is Smithfield Fresh pork STL cut and they always come out great. Sometimes I get pull back and sometimes not. I learned a little trick form a long time comp cook and that is to go along the bone with a butter knife and break the meat lose from the bone. Will always get pull back.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote