First Attempt at dry cured sausage.

EyeBurnEverything

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Had to put my new grinder to use. I used hog casing. Went with a Landjaeger recipe using Fermento. I thought original recipe was a bit bland so i improvised.

I went with 5 pounds total. 3 parts 90/10 Ground beef ( it was on sale $2.49/lb) And 2 parts pork butt (1.29/lb) I finally got to use my grinder!

So here is the ingredient list.
3lb 90/10 beef
2lb pork butt 4.5mm grind
1TBSP + 1/2 tsp Pickling salt
1 tsp cure #1
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp crushed caraway seed
1 tsp korean red pepper flake
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 TBSP Dextrose
1 TBSP corn syrup solids
2/3 cup distilled water
1/2 cup Fermento

I wish i could detail the process, but i never grind, nor stuffed casings ever so it was new to me and i was on edge and struggled. The hardest part was getting the flow right. Hog casing was a bit too wide, i should have used sheep casing but it is what it is. I made due with what i had and here is the results so far.

Attachments

• 7092739078511780639.jpg
    7092739078511780639.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 6929627493485942630.jpg
    6929627493485942630.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 153
Those don't really look that great. Send them to me and I will dispose of them properly. ROFL

You're right. They look terrible. USPS wont even ship them. I have to send them Fedex, with a Hazmat fee. Its $50 + $5/lb. Let me know, i'll ship them as soon as they are done smoking tommorow. :thumb:

I believe cure #2 is for dry cured sausage, why did you go with cure #1

(I am aware there are more traditional ways to do things)

The worst lesson i learned so far is....Do not assume you have enough casing. I had to pretty much halt half way through because i ran out of casing and had to soak and rinse a whole new batch of casing. That doesnt sound like a big deal, but it involved washing and putting parts back into the freezer. It was a good 2 hour set back.

I believe cure #2 is for dry cured sausage, why did you go with cure #1

(I am aware there are more traditional ways to do things)

I wanted to take baby steps. Cure#2 is a long 4-6 week process. Cure#1 and Fermento is a quick way to achieve similar results using a controlled heat/smoke. Maybe i should have added "semi dry cured" to the topic. My bad. Thank you Grammar police.

2 hours of thin blue smoke, they are starting to get some nice color. I used cherry.

Attachments

• landjaegercolor.jpg
    landjaegercolor.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 101
5 hours in, almost at target temp. Color is where it should be. Need to check weight soon. According to various recipes, I am looking for 15%-20% weight loss on my test links.

landjaegercolor2.jpg

Last edited:
The Flavor was good. But not as salty or as firm as i am use to. I had them in the fridge wrapped in BP but i decided to put them in my dehydrator till then snap when i bend them.

Maybe i am just use to a more dried out product. 15% moisture loss is clearly not enough. Im going to shoot for 30% and see where i am at.

I am keeping the temp very low. There is enough cure, so i am not worried about spoilage. But i am concerned about cooking all the fat out. So far 133F doesnt seem to be dripping (grease) i think you need about 136+ to really break fat down. We will see once i reach what i think is firm. I will post pics sliced, and also "snapped" If its a fail so be it, you can't improve something if you never try to change it.

Back