MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Default sliced picnic

I was pulling butts out of the freezer and notice one said picnic on it. From what I've read here, people smoke it just like a butt, but to a higher temp. Well when you smoke a butt for slicing you tend to only go til a temp of around 175ish. do people slice picnics too? Do they take longer to cook?
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMSMKER View Post
I was pulling butts out of the freezer and notice one said picnic on it. From what I've read here, people smoke it just like a butt, but to a higher temp. Well when you smoke a butt for slicing you tend to only go til a temp of around 175ish. do people slice picnics too? Do they take longer to cook?
Of course. I love spiral sliced smoked picnic hams. They are done around 140-150F though. Not sure where you got 175F for sliced.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

I agree on pulling at 175ish and wrapping for about an hour since it is from the shoulder and there is some connective tissue that needs to break down. I love sliced picnic, better flavor than fresh ham IMO and is excellent with baked apples from the smoker.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillN View Post
I agree on pulling at 175ish and wrapping for about an hour since it is from the shoulder and there is some connective tissue that needs to break down. I love sliced picnic, better flavor than fresh ham IMO and is excellent with baked apples from the smoker.
You must be running hot. 225F till IT 150F is perfect for thin slices. Its been awhile since i smoked a picnic so i cant remember how long it took. I know it took longer then a boston butt/shoulder.

Also, are we talking bone in Picnic? That's what i assumed. And yes, ive seen boneless Picnics in the grocery store, so i wont rule that out of OP's post.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
Pocchampion
Full Fledged Farker

I take mine to 175 as well when I want to slice. For me, it is tender and juicy at that temp

Old 06-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
You must be running hot. 225F till IT 150F is perfect for thin slices. Its been awhile since i smoked a picnic so i cant remember how long it took. I know it took longer then a boston butt/shoulder.

Also, are we talking bone in Picnic? That's what i assumed. And yes, ive seen boneless Picnics in the grocery store, so i wont rule that out of OP's post.
Yes it's bone in.
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018, 05:48 AM   #7
Monkey Uncle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

An IT of 150 F is nowhere near hot enough for a fresh picnic. It would be like rubber. Maybe you're thinking of a cured picnic, which just needs to be heated through?
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Of course. I love spiral sliced smoked picnic hams. They are done around 140-150F though. Not sure where you got 175F for sliced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
An IT of 150 F is nowhere near hot enough for a fresh picnic. It would be like rubber. Maybe you're thinking of a cured picnic, which just needs to be heated through?
Yep, a pre-cooked picnic ham only needs to be safely reheated. The OP is talking about actually cooking a green picnic. I would probably go in the 170-180 range for slicing.