Hawaiin grilled chicken ideas

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My wife is obsessed with chicken quesadillas from this local fast food joint. I went a picked one up for her yesterday for the first time and watched them grilling up the chicken breast to slice. I tried a little bit and it had kind of a Hawaiin flavor to it with just a little heat on the back side.

On a semi related note, I caught some show on Food Network or something a week or two ago about a chicken stand in Hawaii so I have been wanting to try something similar since.

Anyone got some input on what to marinade/season the chicken breast with? I was thinking pineapple juice and soy sauce would be involved, probably some garlic, and maybe a little chili powder or cayenne to balance the sweet. Not really after a "teriyaki" flavor just some citrus sweet and some heat.

Citrus => lime juice.

I'd avoid chili powder due to the cumin and stick with a little cayenne or perhaps (very little) habanero.

I'm not sure if it is Hawaiian or not but I'm in 100% agreement on the garlic. :thumb:

I lived in Hawaii for a few moons and the better half lived there for 30 uears. Huli huli or teriyaki is the way to go. find aloha brand marinades online.

"Hawaiian" does not equal pineapple (or coconut). It's a misconception that we need to put away.

I'll bet the sauce they used was a combo of huli huli (teriyaki, garlic and ginger) and hawaii chili pepper water. That would give it the sweet and heat.

Back